Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Becoming the capital  (Read 2976 times)

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Becoming the capital
« on: May 30, 2011, 11:10:27 am »

Hi there. I'm trying to become the capital I have 151 dwarves and the keep breeding, so I have to hurry.

I have fulfilled all requirements except the "offerings" one. According to the civs list, I have offered to the dwarven civilization 8110 dwarfbucks (8000 required), but the "capital requirements" screen says I have offered 0.

Does this mean I had to offer goods to the elven or human civilizations? (The goblin one? I just killed their leader in a siege).

What's going on here??

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
Re: Becoming the capital
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:48:13 am »

How long ago did you make the offering of goods?

I think the caravans have some travel time to their destination before their contents are counted.

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 11:49:56 am »

Just one or two seasons. Does that mean I can still hope?

If I happen to hit the population cap, can I "dispose" of some dwarves and make the monarch come afterwards? Or is it a one-time check?

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 11:55:01 am »

Kill all the useless dorfs so you can't hit the cap.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 12:06:44 pm »

Oh crap. Things are not looking good. An army of 20+ goblin crossbowmen and 20+ pikemen. My bridges were destroyed in the last siege. Catapults are not ready yet.

All dwarves are ordered to stay inside at all times. Military, station in the staircase and don't let anyone through. Smithers, prepare my helicopter.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 12:09:11 pm »

Considering the current military situation, you might instead want to raise the cap slightly, so that more fodder arrives for you to throw against the invaders, and decrease it again after you receive the king.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 12:24:34 pm »

Or just wall them out and then hurl traps at them.
Dwarf Fortress:

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 12:25:18 pm »

This year's new recuits died, but my heavy squad survived with just one casualty and two legendary miners dead. Half of the goblin army ran away :o

If things keep escalating like this I don't think I'll have a problem with population.

EDIT: I hope the queen likes what I've done with the place
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 12:32:53 pm by Sallen »

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 12:59:01 pm »

Nobles have a use. They pull levers.
Dwarf Fortress:

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 02:33:59 pm »

If I happen to hit the population cap, can I "dispose" of some dwarves and make the monarch come afterwards? Or is it a one-time check?

It checks right before coming, so you may want to save often and archive the last save, say one or two times a month. If the king arrives after population cap then no one actually comes, but if you revert to the previous save and raise the cap then he and his people will come. If you don't revert and got the message without actual king's coming, then it's too late.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 05:05:30 pm »

Last I checked, the code that made nobles useless was broken - in my current fortress (from 0.31.18), both my Duchess and my King can be assigned to perform any labor I want.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 05:23:49 pm »

If you made the offerings before the becoming the capital criteria triggered, they don't count.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 05:34:50 pm »

It checks right before coming, so you may want to save often and archive the last save, say one or two times a month. If the king arrives after population cap then no one actually comes, but if you revert to the previous save and raise the cap then he and his people will come. If you don't revert and got the message without actual king's coming, then it's too late.

Are you sure about this? I've been over my cap for awhile due to children, and the King still came. I actually found it rather annoying, because he ended up bringing a huge influx of noble ladies and lords with him (I've modded it to play as humans). Not only is this more mouths to feed, but it also decreased my FPS, which is the reason I have a population cap in the first place.

Hi there. I'm trying to become the capital I have 151 dwarves and the keep breeding, so I have to hurry.

I have fulfilled all requirements except the "offerings" one. According to the civs list, I have offered to the dwarven civilization 8110 dwarfbucks (8000 required), but the "capital requirements" screen says I have offered 0.

Does this mean I had to offer goods to the elven or human civilizations? (The goblin one? I just killed their leader in a siege).

What's going on here??

Just offer a fresh batch of trade goods to the next caravan.