Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to set your dwarves on fire  (Read 1440 times)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
How to set your dwarves on fire
« on: May 13, 2011, 02:22:38 am »

I have come up with a new theory on a way to use a Dwarven Bathtub to injure dwarves to force them to be rediagnosed (or maybe just for your own amusement, for !!science!!... you know, whatever).

The setup for it is like this:

===================
    W    M   L   ||
    W    M   L   ||
=========#=========
        |M|
(to magma reservoir)

W = Dwarven Bathtub filled with water (steady 3/7, filled via pond)
M = Dwarven Bathtub filled with magma (no more than 3/7)
L = Levers

Assign the levers to a dwarf you want to injure, then order the lever pulled.  The hall is a dead end, so no one will go down it unless you give them a reason to.

The basic idea is that a dwarf will wander in, get cleaned by the water, then get set on fire by the magma, causing minor (?) injuries, then will have the fires put out when wandering through the water on their way out.  I haven't tested this setup (yet), but I thought I would throw it out here for comment and to allow others to join in the testing.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to set your dwarves on fire
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 03:25:40 am »

Wouldn't you get a "cannot path to lever, no safe path" error? Even 1/7 magma is considered too dangerous to path through. If I was to try and design something like this I'd arrange for a dwarf to stand on (and be locked up at) some floor grates and have one tile's worth of magma 1 z-level above him and 1 tile's worth of water some 3~4 z-levels above him. Drop both fluids down at the same time so the dwarf is only exposed to the magma for a few frames.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 03:27:39 am »

Or maybe some adaptation of a mist generator would work with only 1/7 of magma in the system?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 04:37:08 pm »

Wouldn't you get a "cannot path to lever, no safe path" error? Even 1/7 magma is considered too dangerous to path through. If I was to try and design something like this I'd arrange for a dwarf to stand on (and be locked up at) some floor grates and have one tile's worth of magma 1 z-level above him and 1 tile's worth of water some 3~4 z-levels above him. Drop both fluids down at the same time so the dwarf is only exposed to the magma for a few frames.

Am I confusing fire with magma here, then?  You might be right about using a magma mist generator (perhaps one turned on by the lever?) for this.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 04:43:18 pm »

You can most certainly place a lever, surround it with floor grates, and place a small magma reservoir above the lever.  When pulled, the magma dumps upon the lever, burning the dwarf before quickly draining through the floor grates.  Then a normal dorfbath (or not) to extinguish the magma-ridden dwarf.

Time to test how armor and clothing protect against fire!

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 03:49:37 pm »

Time to test how armor and clothing protect against fire!

I look forward to the !!science!! you may produce.

With emphasis on the !! part :)

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 04:40:15 pm »

Instead of having a magma bath, dump some lignite blocks into the magma. Drain the magma later. Since dwarfs path through fire, they will catch on fire while trying to pull the lever. Dump more lignite blocks as needed.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 05:06:33 pm »

Sounds to me like a good way to get your dwarf encased in obsidian. Useful for nobles making obnoxious mandates, but not so good for dwarves that you want to recover.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 05:14:18 pm »

Sounds to me like a good way to get your dwarf encased in obsidian. Useful for nobles making obnoxious mandates, but not so good for dwarves that you want to recover.
1/7 magma is vaporised instead of solidified by water
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.