Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: So, immortality huh?  (Read 7905 times)

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
Re: So, immortality huh?
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 12:49:16 pm »

In my opinion, an immortal should still be able to get their limbs hacked off, but no matter how much blood they lose, they never feel pain, and they never, ever die.

This would make for some hilarious ends. The only way to stop an immortal foe would be do take off all of his limbs. Then you could hang his still-talking head on the wall as a decoration.

FUN.

The Black Knight always triumphs?
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 02:14:32 pm »

It would be rather fun to be a mortal adventurer who sought to kill all immortals. I AM URIST MCIMMORTALSLAYER, SLAYER OF IMMORTALS. FEAR MY BEARD.

Just play a dwarf out to exterminate every elf and goblin in the world.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 03:15:00 pm »

Am I the only one not excited for immortality? It seems that the immortal, unless I looked over something, are immortal in the sense that there is no death. I wouldn't mind a few immortal beings that had a weakness, but I'm worried that the game will be swarming with them. It would be better if only a select few achieved it, perhaps by a series of trials in which most who try will die.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 05:46:35 pm »

for being something that can't die I usually just if I wanted play a BC with speed 1 and flip on ghost mode.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 06:42:04 pm »

Am I the only one not excited for immortality? It seems that the immortal, unless I looked over something, are immortal in the sense that there is no death. I wouldn't mind a few immortal beings that had a weakness, but I'm worried that the game will be swarming with them. It would be better if only a select few achieved it, perhaps by a series of trials in which most who try will die.

The way it seemed to me was that it merely removed age as a killer.

You can still die by violent application of sharp metal to the throat.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Beznogim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2011, 07:57:17 am »

The thing that comes to mind when you say "immortality" and "necromancer powers" together - is a lich. So the immortality should probably be sort of being a sentient undead, that doesn't die of old age (but its body may slowly decay) and requires a specific way to kill it.
От БЕЗНОГNМ станет всем ДОСМОТ,
От БЕЗНОГNМ V1 o5 u2,
НЕ ПЫТАЙТЕСБ ЧТОТ0 NЗМЕНИТЬ!
Просмотревших людей сойдут с ума!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2011, 12:03:15 am »

I always understood that immortality was the inability to die of old age while invincibility/invulnerability is/are the capacity to escape or shrug off any form of damage or ailment of the body. One immortal is immune to the effects of entropy within their body and thus never physically degrade because of it, and will be entirely immune to cancer(as a result of mistakes in DNA replication) or their body's failure to repair damage and upkeep tissues and organs, including heart problems. The rate at which wounds heal, blood clots, and tissues use resources would be entirely normal and stable, thus they could indeed be killed by injury, lack of food, water, and oxygen, and disease and poison. Having all the time in the world to become stronger without any natural decay in physical fitness would however permit one to become unbelievably good at staying alive against all odds, not to mention paranoid, and possibly entirely insane after some time.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2011, 04:29:28 pm »

This conversation pleases me.
I'm looking forward to this feature being added.
Also, an idea. What if instead of just certain people having immortality, we have an entire race that is immortal, and the only way to be like them is to live with them and learn with them?
Kinda like how Eragon went to the elven forest to learn with them, and ended up being turned half elf because of it?
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2011, 05:07:24 pm »

I always understood that immortality was the inability to die of old age while invincibility/invulnerability is/are the capacity to escape or shrug off any form of damage or ailment of the body.

Pretty close - Immortal literally means 'unable to die'. The problem is a lot of things use the term to mean simply 'infinite longevity' instead. You are correct in assuming that it does not preclude harm - an immortal could have his arms chopped off, he just wouldn't die of it.

Invulnerable technically means 'no weakness', but is usually used to mean 'immune to harm', similar to Indestructible. An invulnerable being wouldn't be able to have his arms chopped off. He could presumably die through peaceful means, though.

Invincible, IIRC, means effectively unbeatable. A man invincible in battle won't lose.  He might hypothetically be harmable or killable, but you're not going to be able to do it if it would result in his loss.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

Punished

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2011, 05:27:16 pm »

I like to think of Immortality the way that the Night Angel book series portrays it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2011, 07:21:06 pm »

I think DF immortality will mean that you just live forever under normal cicumstances (can't die from dehydration, malnutrition, disease, or old age) while still dying from having your head chopped off. You'd probably also never fall unconcious from pain, but still be able to die from the source of pain (like having all yoiur limbs chpped off and bleeding out).

Zombies are sort of the opposite: I could see their body just slowly eroding over time, while being able to survive cut piecemeal. Excorsizing a zombie could also work as well, as would simply turning their entire body into chunky salsa.

Tsukana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2011, 02:24:01 am »

New and Improved: Zombie Siesta Salsa.

Now with more brain.
Pages: 1 2 [3]