Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I build walls ontop of walls  (Read 799 times)

Nicolai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I build walls ontop of walls
« on: May 13, 2011, 01:39:24 pm »

Hi,
I want to build a tower for my marksdwarves, but how do I build multiple levels?
Right now, i just have a 5x5 area, enclosed in walls, but I can't figure out how to build ontop of that.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I build walls ontop of walls
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 01:45:04 pm »

Build stairs next to the wall? Scaffolding.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 01:45:36 pm »

Build up stairs inside the walls, then build up/down stairs on top of them (on the second level). Then build floors on the second level, at least around the inside egde of the walls, so your dwarves can access the top of the first level walls to build. Then build 1x1 walls in the corners of the second level. Then build the rest of the second level walls. You want to build the corners first, or your dwarves won't be able to get to them to build them.

Then build up/down stairs on the third level over your stairs on the second level, and continue upward.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 03:12:26 pm »

^^^

I much prefer just building rows of scaffolding ( 10x1 up/down stairs  ) on each level. Looks more likely as well, as it's just temporary scaffolding.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 03:34:16 pm »

Alternatively, if you want every floor usable, build flooring around a central staircase. Scaffolding, in my opinion, is a big pain to take down.

By the way, towers don't help marksdwarves much. You'd be better off with a one- or two-z level wall with fortifications. Towers are cool though.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 06:21:17 pm »

I build so that I'll never want to remove it.

Build one wall section next to the wall, and a ramp next to that. Then, on the next Z-level up, floor AAAAAAAAAALL the way around the wall squares by one space internally (towards the inside of the wall), and then wall on the wall.

It looks neat, and provides access if you want to make fortifications in the future. If you're doing a really small project, then go with the scaffolding.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 06:40:13 pm »

Towers actually hurt marksdwarves.  Their range seems to be roughly diamond shaped, with their max range being the level they're on, and every level up or down decreases their range by 1.  However, a tower on stilts is still a very good idea.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 06:42:26 pm »

I have absolutely no theoretical proof to this, but it seems like gobbo marksmans occasionally have difficulty shooting up into fortifications. I only had one major vomit incident after roughly 12 years.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 06:44:15 pm »

All ranged weapons have trouble shooting through fortifications, whether up, down, or level.  At rank 11, they gain the capacity to shoot through fortifications at a distance, and at rank 15+ they can shoot through fortifications as if they weren't there.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 06:57:10 pm »

All assuming, of course, they can't just walk up to the fortification and shoot through it at point blank. ;)  So, don't forget to channel out the tiles directly in front of "ground" level fortifications, or raise them up a level so the newb marksgobbos can't easily shoot back at you.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"