Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Invisible "creature"?  (Read 1191 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Invisible "creature"?
« on: May 14, 2011, 01:22:57 am »

So I was trying to build a wall. My carpenters (this is an above ground fort) run up to the wall with a log. So far, so good. Then they start building it. Then they give the "Urist McCarpenter cancels Construct Building: Creature occupying site." message. So I loo'k' over there and it only says Palm Wall and dense meadowgrass. I un-suspended the wall, but they just kept doing the same thing: run up, start building, cancel, suspend, leave. Later, I built a door there and it worked fine, but the door was permanently jammed open.

If it helps, I'm using the Corrosion mod, but I don't think that changes much in the way of building.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Invisible "creature"?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 01:39:27 am »

Flood the site with magma.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 02:18:53 am »

This probably isn't it, but check for hidden stuff on that tile, or try channeling it out and building a wall under it, if possible.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 11:20:23 am »

Some idiot dwarf probably got in the way just as the job was supposed to complete, so "creature blocking site", try again, paying attention if its the builder himself or something.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 11:33:56 am »

And check if the carpenter has any pets or children. They just love to place themselves on the tile the dwarf it working on.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 11:39:22 am »

Did you use RuneSmith or a similar tool to kill creatures?  I have found that when you do that, it doesn't clear the occupied flag on the space the creature was standing, so that space will forever be occupied and nothing can be built there.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 11:46:53 am »

Yeah, it's probably a pet or tame creature or child or other dwarf that JUST put itself on the building square when your dwarf was building, and it interrupts construction.

Happened a lot when I made my ranger and it's swarm of war dogs build stuff.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 11:54:11 am »

All of you guys saying it was just a passing dwarf or animal need to read his whole post...  He un-suspended the construction multiple times and got the same message and he later built a door there that is stuck open.  There is something invilisble blocking the tile, it is not a random passing dwarf causing this to happen to him repeatedly...
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 02:08:15 pm »

I did use Runesmith to blast a couple scavengers (because I can't handle the !!FUN!! :-\) around the area of the wall, so that must be it. Thanks!
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 08:42:41 am »

I am getting the same problem in the construction of my archery range, and I have never used Runesmith - the only remotely cheaty thing is a bit of dfcleanmap to keep the framerate up. Definitely no actual creatures on the site either. Solutions?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 10:34:48 am »

I am getting the same problem in the construction of my archery range, and I have never used Runesmith - the only remotely cheaty thing is a bit of dfcleanmap to keep the framerate up. Definitely no actual creatures on the site either. Solutions?
Use magma.

Flood the room with magma, then drain it out. This should remove anything long-term blocking the site. Alternatively, flood with magma, then pump water in. Dig the room out of obsidian. Make obsidian archery targets. Training should get done faster in a dwarfier setting.

spook54321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 11:11:48 am »

try casting that square out of obsidian.
It's the same reason why sharks don't attack lawyers, professional courtesy.

This (small) sig of mine