Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Consistent Building Materials  (Read 2521 times)

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Consistent Building Materials
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 06:46:09 pm »

I discovered last night that using the z menu and simply forbidding all the stones except the one I want really smoothed things out.

Then the reality that I was attempting to build a floor out of 40000 granite blocks hit me, and I chickened out.  I'm having the dwarves pull back up the thousands of floor tiles they already used, and I'll just let tower caps grow if I ever hit the caverns.  In a 200 by 200 cistern that is 7 z levels high I should have enough room for them.

You can build roads if you don't want to build anything on top of them.  Saves blocks, and goes a lot faster, as well. 

Still, if you want to build and not have tower cap problems, it's easier to just not build in the caverns. :P  You can work the edges of the caverns to rearrange them all into ramps up into your carefully-sculpted gardens of stone just above the proper caverns you've had entirely walled off.

It's a cistern, hence a muddy floor, hence walling off the caverns won't help. Only save-scumming to avoid ever breaching them will help, or building roads.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"
Pages: 1 [2]