Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The very first time I tapped Happy fun place. (spoiler)  (Read 1575 times)

Safey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The very first time I tapped Happy fun place. (spoiler)
« on: July 30, 2011, 08:06:52 pm »

I have played quite a few fortress (though I am not very good at the game) and most of them are surface fortress. In this one however a collapsing terrain reveals to me the location of a adamatine vein and I am intent on mining in out.

This picture is the sales man hoard entering base proper.

Tail end of the hoard

This guy actually had a steel sword (rest of my guys had training swords). Its a level or two below him.

Yay I got the adamatine.

and here I break into the hollow portion of the vein

and no body is home. Wonder where they could be.

I put in the labels because I also posted this on facebook and they might not be quite as good at dwarf fortress as y'all are.

So since i highly doubt I can stop them. Any ideas for reclaim? (also, anyone have idea how to post the save file.)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 08:45:37 pm by Safey »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The very first time I tapped hell.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 08:13:45 pm »

Need to say this: Please replace hell in the title with "spoiler" or something like that. Don't want to ruin the surprises for new players. I'll read the post after this, but the title definitely needs to be changed. Modify the first post to change the title.

Looks like a pretty Fun fortress death. Since you knew about adamantine, did you know about the demon hoard that was going to spew out once you mined to the end? That's generally a fortress breaker. :)

No way you're going to survive this. I recommend not even trying to reclaim. Your parties will just get slaughtered and/or arrive at a completely empty fortress. Just make a new fortress - they all have to lose at some point!

As for posting the save file: The saves are found in the DF folder, under data/save. Each region is one save file. If you want to host it somewhere, you'll probably have to compress it into one file, through a program. There's something called the Dwarf Fortress File Depot - it's made specifically to hold DF game saves, mods, and the like. That's where you'll probably want to upload the save to, but other sites work just as well. After that, just post a link if you want others to download it.

And to elaborate on the spoilers: These forums generally follow the wiki's policies on spoilers. If it relates to a page that has a spoiler warning, put a spoiler notice in the topic, and/or put spoiler tags around the specific subject material. Example unusable words are hell and demon. These can be replaced, respectively, by circus and clown, if you wish. Most minor spoiler wiki pages are discussed openly - stuff like Forgotten Beasts. Adamantine can be open, spoiler'd, or switched to candy or cotton candy, at your discretion. It appears on many in-game screens, and most people know about it, so it can be OK.
Not adhering to this won't get you banned or anything, it's just common courtesy.

Also, welcome to the forum! May you have fun losing in company!

EDIT: That works well. :) Also, your first picture isn't working for me.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 08:41:44 pm by Lectorog »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: The very first time I tapped hell.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 08:18:48 pm »

"The very first time I tappedOHGODWHYAAAAAA"
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Safey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The very first time I tapped Happy fun place. (spoiler)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 08:50:51 pm »

Well I fixed the picture. As far as the save I am not going to worry about unless someone express and entrance in messing around with it (which I doubt). I knew about it I just thought perhaps I might be able to get more then two levels before it spilled out on me but guess not.
The fortress literally had no ore for me to make weapons. I brought enough steel to make me a pick, an axe, and a short sword. Some of the immigrants brought some axes and picks but that wouldn't have done me much good against that lot. The only metal ore I did fine was terahidte or something.

anyways I know its a long shot any ideas how salvage/reclaim this would be nice.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:32:56 pm by Safey »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 10:00:45 pm »

Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Safey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 04:20:16 am »

I try a reclaim anyways. Who knows might be fun.

singler

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 12:14:03 am »

I recently had some similar FUN as OP, but luckily I managed to survive, but in the process I lost like ~100 dwarves. Well I had a bridge in the midway to my fortress (but most (all?) metal bars were cut of because of it), so I had some time to prepare for emergency situation. While demons were sealed they managed to fight with some beasts in caverns, which also diminished their numbers.

Also additional FUN was non-linked emergency shutdown levers to bridges near the breach site.

I think if you didn't abandon it and you have some weapons and time, try forming many squads and try killing demons

Safey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 09:42:15 pm »

I had non of the above. I do have an Idea how to seal it off. It involves 6 mines and a mason. have the dwarves digging down next to with the mason sealing it off behind. Then channel the near by magma pipe and water to seal off the vein. after that come up with an Idea to deal with all the overly assertive salesmen running around

singler

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 01:40:09 am »

your dwarves may become hungry or thirsty and die. But the idea with "checkpoints" may work. Create stockpile with food and drinks in tunnel, then seal it off. Dig tunnel, move stuff to the end of tunnel and seal off. Repeat :)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 03:28:24 am »

If you're lucky, you can get a wall up without having to worry too much about it.

a) undesignate every other mining square (if you turn off mining your miner will do something stupid like bring his pick to a weapons stockpile)
b) enable masonry on your miner
c) enable adamantine as a non-economic stone (no you do not have time for that piece of slate 1 square away)
d) build build build

Don't even have to be super-agile or anything.  Probably have to have both legs though.  Maybe legendary crutch walker would be good enough.  Don't want a thirsty, hungry, or drowsy miner either....
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Safey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 07:21:24 pm »

pretty sure that guy is dead
and P.S.
May I present my best attempt at a successful reclaim

is my miner get him stuff to make a dining room. I found some ore some ways up might go back dig it out so he can make barrels and not drink out of cave water.

the beserking one became immobile when the other dwarf tantrum and rip off his legs and other stuff now he thirst and hunger drove him insane consider he is like 40-50 levels up with no legs I feel safe from him

Now I just get him some semblance of living and then perhaps make a push to seal off the admantine vein.  I had sealed this underground cave off from my base because I didn't want to have to deal with the frog men so the demons shouldn't be able to get to me hopefully
still have no idea how to clear out the demons
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 06:48:01 pm by Safey »

Safey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 07:35:24 pm »

and migrants not sure how they plan to get too me

edit and they all died
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 07:41:47 pm by Safey »