Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which PC is better?  (Read 929 times)

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
Which PC is better?
« on: May 12, 2011, 11:49:45 am »

So guys, i need a very cheap, new pc or laptop, as my one here (1.4GHz solo core, GMA graphics) sucks like hell...   
Im not getting it for hard core gaming, just the occasional, maybe demanding game, like RIFT and indie games like Amnesia...

So, i found 1 desktop, 1 laptop, same prices, which will be better?
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compaq-sg3-350uk-desktop-pc-with-20-monitor-09885841-pdt.htmlhttp://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/acer-aspire-5750-4gb-core-i3-laptop-blue-09933670-pdt.html?srcid=867&xtor=AL-50&istCompanyId=9a35962d-802d-4e67-9721-0a3328ca1f02&istItemId=xlawqttq&istBid=t

Thanks!

PS Please no flaming about how shit they are ect...

THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: Which PC is better?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:51:42 am »

The desktop.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 11:57:32 am »

THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 12:00:30 pm »

It's a desktop. Means you can upgrade it easier, less prone to overheating, less chance of losing it/it getting stolen, less chance of the graphics card not being supported well or at all.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 12:01:50 pm »

It's a desktop. Means you can upgrade it easier, less prone to overheating, less chance of losing it/it getting stolen, less chance of the graphics card not being supported well or at all.
Oh ok :P  Cheers

Any idea if it will run mid-level games like Left 4 Dead 2?   It has a fast enough processor, but i dont know what the graphics card is like...

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 12:04:40 pm »

Yeah, should be fine, I think. Also, don't buy from PC world if you can avoid it, they're overpriced and tend to have shite customer support.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 12:35:53 pm »

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Oh, good... I was worried that they were gonna sell a cheap knock off of Windows 7.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 02:35:07 pm »

The graphics card specs on that is questionable at best. It says it is an 'ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics.' The problem is, there is no Radeon 3000 card so far as wiki knows. There is the Radeon 3000 family of graphics cards, but its pretty much the equivalent of describing a vehicle's model simple with its year and leaving you to wonder about its make, model, and condition. The range in models from that series is pretty big; the high end version is about 4 times more powerful than the low end version (and if I were to guess, the low end one is what you would get). L4D2 on minimum settings may or may not work, I don't have much experience with it on bad machines. As for Amnesia though, my $500 integrated graphics laptop barely runs it (same with mount & blade), so as long as you have something as a graphics card I would expect you could run it on minimum without too much trouble.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 02:48:33 pm »

It's a 700mhz processor.  Even if the graphics card is a fragment of the Monolith you're going to have a lot of difficulty playing anything remotely modern.
Shoes...

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 02:55:36 pm »

Frankly, it's quite ridiculous that such a computer is still sold.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 02:57:00 pm »

Wait, whoops.  Wrong thread.
Shoes...