Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tripping Atlas!  (Read 1582 times)

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Tripping Atlas!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 01:13:22 pm »

The best you can do is drop the whole map into the SMR at the bottom of the magma sea, as it will absorb everything dropped into it.  It is completely impossible to collapse the map into hell due to the SMR layer.
So the whole world would be vaporized?

WIN!

Everything above the magma sea that gets dropped into it, yeah.  You will probably end up with a few chunks left over where the natural stone layers penetrate into the smr in places, but most of the map should cease to exist in a huge cloud of magma vapor.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 01:25:55 pm »

MASSIVE lag.  Upload the fort to DFFD just before you pull the lever.  Chances are you'll crash, but someone else may be able to finish the job...

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 01:35:42 pm »

yes, do this, find new embark location, repeat. DROP THE WORLD INTO THE MAGMA SEAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 01:47:43 pm »

yes, do this, find new embark location, repeat. DROP THE WORLD INTO THE MAGMA SEAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
This'll be interesting in adventure mode  :P

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 01:48:41 pm »

I seem to recall someone told about a way to dig through SMR layer, so that the entire world can be collapsed, not just what is above magma.
It was something about digging hiles in SMR either with channels from above or stairs from below, then abandoning and reclaiming the fort so that the game forgets about where SMR is, and then digging neighbouring tiles.
This looks overly complicated for me, can anyone say if it is really possible?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 01:50:07 pm »

Adventure mode exploration:
Tree tree tree rock tree 94x94-square-pit-to-hell-with-demons-spewing-out tree tree

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 02:26:14 pm »

Code: [Select]
SKY
 I  <-Support with floor underneath
 I  <-Another support, linking to the above floor, not the sky
---<-Regular fortress starts here!
I keep seeing this in topics about magical sky support, and while I know it doesn't work with ordinary walls, I can't think of a way to test it with the support building (which can't be placed in arena mode) that doesn't support the thing from the side with ordinary ground support.

So basically I'm asking if this has actually been !!SCIENCE!!'d out anywhere.

I mean, I'm trying something right now, but I just caused a cave-in that chucked two off my guys off a 15-level drop by forgetting that bridges don't support things. (even though I am exploiting this fact in my test!)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 02:32:40 pm by billybobfred »
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 02:48:46 pm »

I belive you'd need to remove the cotton candy, however, since the spires would stop the fall of the walls above them.

Otherwise, this must be done, due to it's pure dwarfiness.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 03:01:35 pm »

Code: [Select]
SKY
 I  <-Support with floor underneath
 I  <-Another support, linking to the above floor, not the sky
---<-Regular fortress starts here!
I keep seeing this in topics about magical sky support, and while I know it doesn't work with ordinary walls, I can't think of a way to test it with the support building (which can't be placed in arena mode) that doesn't support the thing from the side with ordinary ground support.

So basically I'm asking if this has actually been !!SCIENCE!!'d out anywhere.

I mean, I'm trying something right now, but I just caused a cave-in that chucked two off my guys off a 15-level drop by forgetting that bridges don't support things. (even though I am exploiting this fact in my test!)

!!SCIENCE!! complete. This does not work.

A save with proof.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 03:43:05 pm by billybobfred »
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 03:14:54 pm »

Actually. I believe that it was possible once to flood the magma sea using the adamantine spirals so that the water enters only at the very bottom of the magma sea. Dont know anyways.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 04:51:25 pm »

Build a castle on the ground, link its tallest spire to the sky, carve out an island of soil (with clay for amphorae) and stone as its foundation, preferably with a brook source.  Drop everything else into the magma sea (maybe make sure you don't have any cave water via worldgen).  Have yourself a castle in the sky on an idyllic floating island with a waterfall (maybe put floodgates on it for when you actually want a playable fortress without continuous cavein warnings).
Pages: 1 [2]