Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Criminals- Basically Bandits But in Big Cities!  (Read 576 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Criminals- Basically Bandits But in Big Cities!
« on: May 21, 2011, 09:40:44 am »

Okay, I was thinking about this, and I moulded my idea so that, as far as I can see, it shouldn't be too hard to implement.
Oh, and this is my first suggestion, so if I do it wrong, please tell me!

With cities coming up, I'm not sure exactly what they're gonna be like, or what kind of people are going to be in them, but I think an easy way to add spice would be to add criminal gangs.
Now, I know that sounds really complicated, like 'crime-realease-arc' complicated, but what if you simply took the existing framework for bandits and dumped them into a city, making a large-ish empty warehouse building on the city's outskirts their camp, and they ambush the player in certain 'back-alley' areas: Little back-streets just a couple of tiles wide.

Of course, this would just be a really, REALLY basic thing, that could be improved in future releases.
Eventually we could have things like thugs beating protection money out of local shops, or leaning on the local rulers, but that's LONG-TERM. This idea would, I think, be easy to do! :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Criminals- Basically Bandits But in Big Cities!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 09:58:25 am »

A bandit equivalent is at the very least planned, and possibly already implemented, per Dwarf Fortress Talk 13:

Bandits have analogues in cities, just things like are there criminals hanging out in a location, are there sewers, are there catacombs, that kind of thing.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu