Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: So why do people have posters in their bedrooms?  (Read 11546 times)

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
Re: So why do people have posters in their bedrooms?
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2011, 12:02:41 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is on my wall.
This is How it is done right.
Thank you based dwarf.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2011, 07:06:17 am »

One rather old painting by myself, an ancient drawing gifted to me by my cousine, and a cork board with random stuff.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2011, 11:19:47 am »

I tried to put one up a while ago, but it kept falling off. Apparently tape is insufficient to affix the weight of hilariously many biochemical pathways to a wall. I need to find some of that putty stuff or whatever it is that people use, because so far all I've accomplished is small tears and removal of the ink from the edges of the poster, which is lame. I may even need to buy another one.

Generally, though, I don't put posters up because I don't care enough. Occasionally something will strike me as awesome, though, and then I'll try (such as the poster mentioned above, or the many shiny rocks I've bought from our geology club over the past couple of years).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2011, 05:20:33 pm »

I have a poster of Kenpachi, and a few drawing of myself from artists at anime conventions.
The poster is because looking at the poster is pleasing to me, the drawings are for the same reason, mixed with something resembling pride at meeting an actual artist, and having them draw something for me specifically.

Kenpachi is the best character from Bleach, so I can see why you'd like a poster of him. Like, really, I don't like the show, but every scene that he's in, he steals the spotlight and you love him for it.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2011, 06:07:51 pm »

I took a whole wall (seven feet tall, nine feet wide) and painted the periodic table over it. My reading area, a little nook holding an arched window and a couch at about waist height, has all the different ways to conjugate Spanish verbs written along the arch. I've got a cardboard cut-out of John Wayne affixed to my door to protect me from the bad guys. My retired longbow is mounted above my bed. In no way are any of these decorations attractive or pretty or what have you. It is all sloppily done and frowned upon by my parents. It is there because I find it useful, funny, or comforting, and makes my room feel like somewhere I have control over. 
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2011, 06:20:35 pm »

My room doesn't have anything hanging on the walls because of the fact that the only wood on these walls is some very thin paneling before hitting stone. Though Eva and Olga have doodled a bit in marker on areas on the paneling. Meaning lots of sevens, a drawing of Durandal and Tychos emblems, and a few very random things like stick zombies and a fairly well drawn Momiji face.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2011, 06:58:49 pm »

Don't care too much about decorating physical space anymore.  I care much more about decorating my windows desktop.  But I imagine I do so with the same motivation I would have to decorate meatspace.

1.  There are things I want to prevent myself from forgetting, such as stories or characters I like.  Such things do fade from memory, but less so if they occassionally pop up in a wallpaper rotation.
2.  Aesthetically pleasing environment is good for mental/emotional stability.
3.  Variety of things to look at provides plenty of food for mental processes.  If I have a few minutes and just want to daydream, I will just hit the hotkey over and over to cycle through wallpapers, which facilitates daydreaming.  Wallpaper changes not manually initiated are great for provoking mental sparks.  When I'm between activities and just get a glance at my desktop and it looks different than the last time I saw it, it's just a pleasant little boost to the healthy rotation of wheels in my head.

I haven't decorated my living space much because kids destroy everything and I've been busy and unmotivated.  But I will get around to it eventually, and will do so mostly with the intent to express myself to visitors, since realistically I spend the majority of my time staring at a screen.  The stuff around the screen just doesn't matter much to me.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2011, 10:34:38 pm »

My room at my apartment is adorned with a sizable collection of hats on pushpins (should I ever need one, they're always ready), a magnetic dartboard (helps make tough decisions), a painting from my little sister (for sentimental value), two strange masks that were found in a random box in my room (no-one knows who got them or where they're from, so I like the creep factor), and a giant poster of the solar system (because the wall just looked so empty).

My room at my parent's house is far more exciting.  When I was eight, I firmly wanted to be an astronaut.  My mother and grandmother therefore painstakingly painted a giant space shuttle on the wall, and threw up lots of glow-in-the-dark stars.  I never took them down.  I still sometimes just turn off the lights at night and smile softly to myself, my inner child finding delight at the quickly decaying glow of the walls.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2011, 09:13:09 pm »

I have no idea why he thinks bare walls are ugly. They aren't. they're bare. Ugly would be plastering them with peeling pictures of semi-attractive women on cars I don't enjoy looking at that I wouldn't have a chance with anyway, or peppering them with nerdy shit like the starwars posters I got some while ago.

You could always, y'know, hang up stuff you think would be cool.  There's no fucking rule that it has to be car-mag pinups and nerd shit.  Just look at my Budweiser neon sign, or Spanish longsword.  That's the whole point, personalize; it doesn't have to be whatever your cynicism tells you is "normal".

I have to agree with Aqizzar, Karne. Your post made you seem like you're a bit insecure about the things you like and your sexual prowess.
Grakelin what were you saying about my sexual prowess? Not cool, bro. Not cool.

My comment was that I felt you were expressing some dissatisfaction with it. I made no assumptions as to the truth of the matter.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]