Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: wells  (Read 3024 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: wells
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 02:17:03 pm »

I was in a good biome when I found the cave... maybe it only occurs in said biomes?

My biomes are neutral, i.e. calm.  I'd say they are relatively good, because there are no zombies, but also no unicorns or such things ;)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 03:17:52 pm »

[<...First point was something I was thinking of, but as for...>] The water below your potential well might have froze up
I don't think that would stop a well being built.  I tend to start building my wells[1] before the final breakthrough to the water is made, and they're dry up until the point I make the breakthrough over the water I wish to access.  And one of the wells in my current fort is 'dry' thanks to a fully-grown subterranean tree apparently inhabiting the (full) single-Z deep cavern pond tile below it.  But there was no problem building it.

[1] I tend to set aside an 11x11 "room's worth" of solid soil/stone above a section of cavern with a decent bit of cavern pool, across all Z-levels from near-surface on downwards, dig a set of wells (single channel above a serios of further channels) down from various levels (normally in a tile-separated grid pattern, usually no more than one well-top tile per level, but several that are transitioning through) where they'd eventually drop into a suitable bit of cavern.  The 1x1-tile channellers 'escape' at the last non-cavern layer by temporary tunnels that get walled back up except where other wells (later) drop through, the breakthrough occurring with a from-the-side channelling designation once the debris is cleared and any smoothing required being made.  Do you need to know that?  Probably not.  Have I described it in a non-confusing manner?  Probably not.  Is it necessary to either describe my method or even to actually employ it in my forts?  Probably not. :)

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 04:55:54 pm »

1x1 shaft with adjoining access passage.
 okay, you have a open space for the well, and access to goods.
1.Did you forbid a certain stone type after the blocks were made
2.Do you have a architect to build it, and if so, is he really busy, or lazy.
3. No burrow issues?
  Stop construction, then rebuild. Try to build a 1 tile block floor, a restraint, and a gear near the well. If these get built, its the architect that is the problem. Is he in jail, lol?
Worse comes to worse, build a block/chain stockpile next to it, and gice a dwarf the architect job
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 12:16:58 pm »

If you've already uploaded it, put the url between [ img ][ /img ] tags.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 03:15:15 pm »

Windows?

Quickest, neatest way is:
  • Frame your view in DF, moving cursor, pausing, perhaps expanding the view, but you don't need to spend too much time over that as long as it's visible.
  • With DF window still active, press Alt-PrintScreen (or PrtScrn, or similar).  Just pressing the PrintScreen button will take the whole of your desktop (so should give the same result if you're playing in full-screen mode), but you probably don't want your taskbar, etc, showing all your other open programs, etc.
  • Open up Paint.  Probably under Start|Programs|Accessories.  (Other image-editing programs exist, go for another that you prefer, if you feel like you can use it, and selectively ignore bits of the rest of this explanation.)
  • Use Ctrl-V, or Edit|Paste from the menu, to paste your screenshot into Paint.  It will (should, certainly) expand the blank canvas to fit, if too small.  If the canvas was too big, I'd have made it 1x1 in size, first of all (menu item Image|Attributes, probably, or Ctrl-E, certainly; then adjust the Width and Height accordingly).  But you probably don't need to worry about editing the image down if you're don't know how to do so.
  • Use menu items File|Save (or Save As), or Ctrl-S on the keyboard.  You should be given a save dialogue.  Choose a location, file name and file type.  For the latter, certainly eschew any .BMP, you probably want to gravitate towards .JPG, but I'd go for .PNG if imgur accepts that (it should!).  But opinions may vary on that count and it really doesn't affect anything as long as you get the [ IMG ] tag showing the picture.

The above is based upon a long time experience with XP.  It's possible that Vista/7 change some operation of Paint that I don't know about, but if the menu items still exist you should be able to find the relevant equivalent, and I'd pretty sure that the Control-key combinations would still work if the menus are hidden/iconised or MS have done something else funny with the newer versions of Paint.

Under Linux, there's generally some form of "Take screenshot" utility.  Potentially different names for different distros, but they should all allow some form of "Choose window", or "Take shot of window under cursor" or "Take shot of window that is active after a short countdown".  Then find a paint-type program to paint into, and you should be able to use it vaguely following the above instructions.  (Some paint-type programs also have integrated screen-shot taking facility, but this is rapidly becoming a longer explanation than was intended, so forget this until later.)

As for Mac...  Been a while since I used a Mac, in anger.  Nearly two decades.  Sorry, but I bet you have something similar on that as well, right?
Pages: 1 [2]