Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No high boots?  (Read 1057 times)

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
No high boots?
« on: April 26, 2011, 12:27:42 pm »

In my current fort (incidentally, the best random-named fort I've ever had: Hammerbattle), I can't make high boots.  I've made high boots in other forts in this version, even within the same world.  They just don't exist as an option, either in the forge, or in the manager screen (screenshot below).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've noticed similar missing items in other forts.  In a previous fort, cave wheat was not an option to grow, and cave wheat seeds could not be imported (but dwarven beer and cave wheat flour could).

Anyone else have mysteriously missing items like this?
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: No high boots?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 12:36:54 pm »

Cave Lobsters are always available on the first embark for me, but after that they are gone forever  :-\

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 12:44:52 pm »

There is no mystery here.  Civilizations do not always have access to every item, so occasionally you wont have high boots, or any number of other things, it is all part of the random generation of the world.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 12:49:28 pm »

For clothing, it's because of this bit in the entity file:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Options are RARE, UNCOMMON, COMMON, and FORCED, so your civ just don't do high boots, and you can change COMMON to FORCED if you want. As for cave wheat, that's just odd, if you can have any underground plants, you should be able to get cave wheat, as far as I know.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 01:20:42 pm »

Weeeeiiiirrrd.  I've been playing DF for years and I've never known that about items.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Krabocopter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 02:22:53 pm »

It happened to me too
Sometimes your civilization doesn't have access to some knowledge

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 03:25:29 pm »

You just picked a civ that doesn't have high boots. It happens occasionally, and the best solution is to hard close the window, reload the world, go to the same embark, and pick a different dwarven civ.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 05:43:03 pm »

2 of my last 3 embarks, no high boots.

The RNG is currently on a crusade against high boots.

(All hail the RNG!  Please do not smite us.)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 06:26:41 pm »

Although it isn't quite as simple as the game looking just at the frequency, as nobody ever complains of greaves or leggings being unavailable. I wonder how the game decides which items can be left to chance?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 06:41:39 pm »

My dwarves can make greaves, but I can't select them on the uniform screen, weird.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 04:31:38 am »

Do High Boots make that much of a big difference? I also cannot make them, and I just reached the point where I made a few full suits of steel (by melting countless iron items I found or purchased).
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.
I think this is less a problem and more an expression of dwarven priorities.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 04:44:35 am »

High Boots have a high UPSTEP.  Low boots have none, meaning they cover the feet and toes.  High boots have 1, so they cover the feet, toes, and shins.  However, greaves protect the lower body, upper legs, and lower legs all at once, so high boots double-clad your shins.  To me, this seems insignificant, since most attacks are directed higher.  A mail shirt will serve better than the high/low difference, since a breastplate leaves the upper arms exposed and available for cutting or lopping off.  A mail shirt adds protection to the entire upper body (when grouped with gauntlets and breastplate and such) and thus prevent injury.  Arena testing has shown a significant change in combat when a mail shirt is applied.  Boots though?  With greaves on, you're fully covered in either of them, so it's mostly a matter of preference.  Also, high boots use twice the material, or they should.  Right now it all take 1 bar, but when that eventually gets fixed, high boots take 2 and low take 1, so if you want to get into the habit of being conservative, this is one area where it's ok to do so.