Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Militia captain harvesting plants  (Read 1569 times)

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Militia captain harvesting plants
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 09:24:20 am »

This guy and several other soldiers were clearly going outside to do something when they had no business being out there.

No, I moved them to the barracks before I released them from their orders. Their last station was in the barracks, not outside, I already said that.
It could be nothing.  I've had idle Dwarfs go wandering about outside away from designated meeting areas, I assume they are "smelling the flowers" or some such.  Check their moods, it's usually the more anti-social of my Dwarfs that eschew the meeting area.

Hang that... that realy only happens when I don't have swank meeting areas (or asigned burrows) yet built.  Do you have any meeting halls set up that are more than just a bare room or patch of ground?

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 09:31:39 am »

He was clearly harvesting something outside. After I took that screen shot, he went to 3 or 4 spots outside the main gate, as if he was harvesting something and stayed at them for some time. Then he went inside and went to the farm. I've never seen someone with an active labor screw around like that. When they queue up the labor they go and do it.
This guy and several other soldiers were clearly going outside to do something when they had no business being out there.
Alright, did you mod the dwarves into grazers? This might actually be quite interesting, if I think about it. They'll probably all starve horribly though. :p

Did you check the status of that grass? Did it actually become less dense after he had "harvested" it?

If not, then yes, he was just screwing around while doing his soldiering duties and getting ready to harvest that plump helmet.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 09:47:55 am »

No, I moved them to the barracks before I released them from their orders. Their last station was in the barracks, not outside, I already said that.
It could be nothing.  I've had idle Dwarfs go wandering about outside away from designated meeting areas, I assume they are "smelling the flowers" or some such.  Check their moods, it's usually the more anti-social of my Dwarfs that eschew the meeting area.

Hang that... that realy only happens when I don't have swank meeting areas (or asigned burrows) yet built.  Do you have any meeting halls set up that are more than just a bare room or patch of ground?
My meeting room is legendary, so that's not it.

Alright, did you mod the dwarves into grazers? This might actually be quite interesting, if I think about it. They'll probably all starve horribly though. :p

Did you check the status of that grass? Did it actually become less dense after he had "harvested" it?

If not, then yes, he was just screwing around while doing his soldiering duties and getting ready to harvest that plump helmet.
No, I don't mod anything.

Unfortunately I didn't think to check the grass itself or what else was on the ground. In this case, he had the job "harvest plant" active while he did that. As I said, I've never seen a dwarf with an active job, just hanging around not doing anything. Once they get it, they go and do it.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 09:53:27 am »

Perhaps they were defending burrows against weeds?
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 10:15:48 am »

Soldiers don't necessarily wander to their previous order location. In fact, any dwarf can wander in his free time to a spot he remembers (like a miner stuck in a hole for several months will return there) or enjoys (wonderful statue gardens are not meeting halls, yet they always have idle dwarves in them), despite the presence of meeting halls.

I regularly see my soldiers return to past battlefields, mostly shortly after said battle, even if they're scheduled to train. They DO receive a good thought from slauthers...

I don't see why you think they were harvesting anything, unless you gathered plants with food stockpiles full and they needed provisions. The "harvest plant" job is only for farm plots.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 05:32:36 pm »

Soldiers don't necessarily wander to their previous order location. In fact, any dwarf can wander in his free time to a spot he remembers (like a miner stuck in a hole for several months will return there) or enjoys (wonderful statue gardens are not meeting halls, yet they always have idle dwarves in them), despite the presence of meeting halls.

I regularly see my soldiers return to past battlefields, mostly shortly after said battle, even if they're scheduled to train. They DO receive a good thought from slauthers...

I don't see why you think they were harvesting anything, unless you gathered plants with food stockpiles full and they needed provisions. The "harvest plant" job is only for farm plots.

Because he had the job "harvest plant" active while he was stopping on 3-4 spots outside the main gate. He stopped at those spots long enough to "do" something.
any other time I've seen a dwarf with a job, he's either doing it, or actively moving to do it. This guy seemed to be actively doing something else.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 06:02:41 pm »

Did they carry anything back then if so? If not, then it is hard to believe that.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 06:39:36 pm »

Did they carry anything back then if so? If not, then it is hard to believe that.
Yes, but I couldn't find it in his inventory. He had something, and then I lost him in the dwarf shuffle. He has to pass near/through the food stockpile to get to the farm, which is near the meeting hall.

I have no idea what he was doing, but he's the first dwarf I've ever seen with an active labour not going to do that active labour. The ground has frozen now, I'll keep an eye next season and see if the soldiers repeat the behaviour or not. Is it possible they were somehow getting food for their backpacks?

Oh
but I see a blue "S" at the top left. I assume that means that some soldiering had been going on
The S is indicative of a there being a new sparring message
C would be for combat, and it's not present. The combat was over.
Pages: 1 [2]