Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barren Caverns?  (Read 1014 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Barren Caverns?
« on: May 10, 2011, 03:07:01 am »

I broke into the cavern layer, for this world there's only 1 cavern, but that hasn't mattered in previous worlds.  There's blood thorn trees, mud, and cave spider webs.  Nothing else.  No cavern grass, no shrubs, no other trees, or anything!  Just, a spattering of blood thorn and the usual roving mobs.

What.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Barren Caverns?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 03:45:20 am »

I am not entirely sure what the bloodthorns are doing in your caverns, but this looks like a case of "there is no water in this cavern, not anywhere on your entire world". The lack of water will make the normal plants go extinct.

Could you buy plants and seeds when you were embarking? I realize that you may not have checked it out though.

Thinking about it, I had a similar cavern layer #3 once, back when I was still using 3 cavern layers. Just bloodthorns and nothing else.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 03:52:51 am »

Bloodthorns don't need water to grow, hence why they're present despite no water producing spores for all the other underground flora.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 03:56:59 am »

Hmm, there is no water, but there is mud everywhere!  That's odd.  Yes, I could buy plants and seeds at embark, and I can from the caravan (or at least I could in a previous world where this happened).  That's interesting...

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 04:10:19 am »

You could buy plants and seeds? This is actually quite interesting, given that your cavern layer is so barren.

So, maybe this is about "no water on the 16x16 embark region", not "no water in the entire world"?

Could you backup your save, and try another embark region and check out the cavern?
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 04:41:21 am »

I think I've had a similiar problem on my recent embark. No plump helmets (and one other plant missing, cant recall what it is) available on embark. I'm guessing when I breach the caverns, I'll find a similiar scene. But I do have some underground plants, which suggests that there isnt a total lack of water.
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 04:49:33 am »

Absolutely normal. This will happen if you have no water in your caverns.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 05:31:03 am »

I think I've had a similiar problem on my recent embark. No plump helmets (and one other plant missing, cant recall what it is) available on embark. I'm guessing when I breach the caverns, I'll find a similiar scene.
Not necessarily. I couldn't buy pig tail seeds or rock nuts recently on the embark screen, but I could plug them out of the cavern ground just fine.

And in one instance, I couldn't find dimple cups anywhere in my caverns or in my towercap farms - but the dwarven caravan brought me dimple cup spawns.

That's why I'm asking Girlinhat to check out another embark region. :)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 05:36:33 am »

Maybe different cavern regions are considered different biomes and while one maybe completely dry and devoid of anything but blood thorns, the others are still wet and can support vegetation.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 05:43:39 am »

My cavern is barren because a FB composed of flame is torching everything down there.

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 05:52:39 am »

Personally, I think my embark might be a bit bugged. Have lots of topside seeds, made a farm plot (made sure it didnt overlap any rock areas) and it claims there are no seeds. I'm coping with booze and stuff made from other plants, so this'll just be a fun challenge rather than a steady decline into sobriety.
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

boyhowdy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 10:11:50 am »

In my embark, layers one and two are barren, but the third is full of trees, shrubs, and moss.  The thing that I find the most interesting is that having only breached the first two (I know about the third because of dfreveal, of course), I'm not getting subterranean plants spawning on my muddied floors.  Wondering if plants will start to spawn in the upper layers when I breach number three...

Tjolme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 10:52:14 am »

In my embark, layers one and two are barren, but the third is full of trees, shrubs, and moss.  The thing that I find the most interesting is that having only breached the first two (I know about the third because of dfreveal, of course), I'm not getting subterranean plants spawning on my muddied floors.  Wondering if plants will start to spawn in the upper layers when I breach number three...

They will. I had an embark with the first cavern layer having no plants, moss or trees. As soon as I hit the second and third layers which did have plant life then my soil or muddy ground started to grow things. If I remember right the first cavern layer never did get any trees or anything though.