Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Discoveries from an above ground fort  (Read 7913 times)

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
Re: Discoveries from an above ground fort
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 05:38:36 am »

Are you telling me that i can build Armok's River?
Armok's Artery.
You mean that your "artery" ...is a derivative from "ART"?
Finis sanctificat media.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 12:24:31 pm »

Easy solution. Carve fortifications in opposing walls, and flood one end of the fort, and drain out the other end. So, North to South, and then it'll wash off all the blood.

It will just vastly multiply the blood, coating huge areas of the fort with blood. It will not clean it up.

High temperatures will clean up blood, however, such as magma. Alternatively if you adjust the raws so that the boiling point of blood is below the ambient temperature it will evaporate on its own. This will not harm your dwarves however, with the exception being that they cannot eat food for some reason due to the temperature. This can be resolved by embarking in a hot climate, so that they can eat underground but above ground it is hot enough that blood will evaporate.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 02:33:21 pm »

I'm just starting an above-ground (no caverns) fort. My embark wagon arrived between Alligators and Rhesus macaques.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 03:51:32 pm »

Something I learned above ground:  Tiles marked "Inside, Light, Above Ground" don't produce miasma.  6 different goblin sieges walked through the serrated disc hallway, spattering the walls and throwing gibs 1-3 z-levels up, through at least 1 floor, if not more.  None of them generated miasma until I put some cage traps in an underground shooting gallery for my marksdwarves.  They were generating miasma before the marksdwarves finished shooting all of them.

Confirmed on a second fort, where my farmers' cats keep leaving vermin remains in the greenhouse.  Technically outside, so no one picks them up, ever, yet they do not generate miasma.  The vermin remains in his bedroom, however...  :(

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 05:29:52 pm »

Confirmed on a second fort, where my farmers' cats keep leaving vermin remains in the greenhouse.  Technically outside, so no one picks them up, ever, yet they do not generate miasma.  The vermin remains in his bedroom, however...  :(
You can go the the
  • rders menu and tell them to pick up refuse on the surface. Just remember to also enable auto-forbiding of corpses, or your dorfs will rush out to their deaths because of a dead goblin/dwarf/elf hippie filthy treehumper.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 05:52:09 pm »

You can go the the
  • rders menu and tell them to pick up refuse on the surface. Just remember to also enable auto-forbiding of corpses, or your dorfs will rush out to their deaths because of a dead goblin/dwarf/elf hippie filthy treehumper.
I do 'o'rders->'F'orbid->'c','i','o' so all corpses and death items are forbidden before I ever unpause.  I sometimes enable outdoor refuse hauling of vermin, if most of the fort is above ground.  But that leads to Urist McVerminHauler discovering an ambush on the wrong side of the map, and dying because some cat was too lazy to bring the demon rat remains back to its owner pet.  Also, since they don't seem to cause miasma, it's not really a problem, except for the little purple corpses everywhere.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.
Pages: 1 [2]