Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River thawing  (Read 1131 times)

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
River thawing
« on: May 07, 2011, 03:10:00 am »

So, it seems to me that the dig restrictions on map edges will leave the source and empty tiles on the a brook frozen. Now, I have the source, so I can thaw that fully, but what do I do with the other end?

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: River thawing
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 05:45:48 am »

Could you ask that question in a more elaborated way? I am not sure what you mean.

In case you are in a freezing biome, with a brook that springs on your location, instead of flowing from outside the map and you want to use underground magma reservoir to make the whole thing flow like it is in a warm biome then i suggest  making fortification under the edge tiles and then using dfliquids to prevent the magma from spilling outside the map.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 06:48:03 am »

My brook only freezes in the winter, but I want a waterworks, and for that I'll need perpetual water motion. My question is, how do I heat the very last row of brook tiles, the ones that drain the water out, so that it doesn't just become still water.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 09:40:11 am »

So to clarify, the brook flows onto his map from one side but, since the other end of the brook where it exits the map is in a freeze-capable biome, during the winter the brook freezes on the output end and becomes still until the ice melts.

The answer is magma, of course. From what I understand of magma-thawing mechanics you'll want to place a small reservoir of magma just underneath the frozen brook, which should cease it from freezing altogether.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 10:06:58 am »

or just wall off the river just before where it freezes, and reroute to an exit off map that does not freeze

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 10:15:15 am »

but there's no digging edge squares, so how can I get magma under those edge river squares? Also, the river does not flow onto my map, it is born there, that's why the source isn't any trouble.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 10:19:06 am »

You could try putting the magma over the river instead. Dunno how well that'll work.

You can't build walls or floors too close to the edge, but apparently bridges are okay?
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 10:23:46 am »

You can't dig edge tiles, but you can smooth them and then carve fortifications in them.  This lets you drain liquid off the map anywhere there is a stone wall edge tile.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 10:29:02 am »

Divert the flow of the river down, into caverns, aquifer, etc. Along the way, make a passage for some water wheels. Underground water never freezes, so you can also just continuously keep some flow around there.

Also, try the Dwarven Water Reactor if you're not opposed to small exploits. That'll put an end to any waterworks problems.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 02:31:17 pm »

This makes me wonder how much water/how many water wheels would be needed to run a pump stack to combine a water reactor with a mist generator/water fall to have a self contained Perpetual Dwarven Happiness Generator. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"