Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Discussion: Mafia Subforum Policies  (Read 12685 times)

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion: Mafia Subforum Policies
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2010, 11:05:49 pm »

I'd find the activity thread useful.

Suggestions would probably fall under the Gametypes Discussion thread well enough. People have been suggesting games but not running them more often lately.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2010, 11:14:54 pm »

Pinning...
this thread?
Gametypes?
"games threshold" or the proposed index of running games

Obviously the mafia tutorial should stay stuck.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2010, 11:19:26 pm »

Suggestions would probably fall under the Gametypes Discussion thread well enough. People have been suggesting games but not running them more often lately.

Yeah, but I was thinking more in terms of "I want to mod, but I can't think of any ideas and I don't feel like trawling through this ludicrously long thread."

Pinning...
this thread?
Gametypes?
"games threshold" or the proposed index of running games

Obviously the mafia tutorial should stay stuck.

The proposed index.  Pinned and locked; if someone wants something messed with (i.e., they're officially disinheriting an idea they'd like run), they can PM me.  Most of the maintenance will me mine, given that I read all the threads here anyway >_>  As such, I can take care of mentioning replacements, filled signups, etc. myself.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2010, 03:36:05 am »

Screw it, I put it up.  I'll leave it there for a while, and if it seems to be working I'll PM Toady and ask for a pin.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2010, 03:39:32 pm »

Well, I PMed and asked for the pin on Saturday, so with luck he'll get to it eventually (or tell me I'm a moron for asking >_>).  As-is, please let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to keep track of on there.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2011, 05:37:07 pm »

Has the board ever tried to get one of respected regulars here as a moderator only for this subforum? I know the Curses subforum got their own moderator once someone took over development for LCS, does anyone think we could arrange it? Or is it impossible or unnecessary?
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2011, 05:42:59 pm »

Has the board ever tried to get one of respected regulars here as a moderator only for this subforum? I know the Curses subforum got their own moderator once someone took over development for LCS, does anyone think we could arrange it? Or is it impossible or unnecessary?

In general, it's probably a bad idea... none of us is really balanced enough.  I sort of run things still, but it's really a team of people who work on it.  And, in terms of formal moderation, this place hardly ever needs it.  I've only seen Toady in here twice: first to address someone doing too much bumping, second to banhammer an asshole who was griefing.

Most of the time, we just argue amongst ourselves, and it seems like moderator powers for any of the players here would be a bit much.

But, please tell me: why do you ask?

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2011, 05:50:45 pm »

I'm bored at work and was idly considering the forum as a whole and thinking about the fact that we self regulate without any real powers. No real reason for or suggestions about the idea. Thanks for the quick answer, though!

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2011, 06:03:56 pm »

I thought about that too, and in truth, the only person who really deserved it was dakarian, and even then, it would be nearly pointless. The best we would be able to do is sticky threads without Toady, but he's usually very quick and nice about stickys that even that is seemingly unnecessary.

There are about 4 realistic situations a mod would be needed here:
-Editting a post containing illegal (gamewise or forumwise) information.
-Stickying threads.
-Stopping spam.
-Perhaps something like the Book situation.

That's it. However, we're such a small group that it's not that big of a deal to just ask Toady. Sure, Vector or I (I'm assuming it'd be one of us simply because I dunno who else would) could be mods, but I don't think we'd ever do anything with it. Maybe sticky current games, that would be fun. But otherwise? Not necessary. We tend to tell new players that join what to do. There's a few unnecessary threads in here, but we try to keep all informed.

Basically, I'm agreeing with Vector, but if you want to ask Toady, I wouldn't mind the extra ability. It probably wouldn't be used much though, unless there were some sort of agreed upon setup.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2011, 06:07:08 pm »

Book situation? What do you mean by that?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2011, 06:19:02 pm »

Book situation? What do you mean by that?
Basically, a guy was being kinda of a jerk, we told him to stop, and he raegquit. He was just overly emotional, and he should've just calmed down before he posted, but I never got a chance to ask him to do as such.

Oh, also, I came up with another reason, and that would be someone possibly cheating with multiple accounts.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2011, 06:20:48 pm »

I knew of Book, I just didn't know what had happened to him. Thank you, though.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2011, 06:40:45 pm »

I'm with Vector and Webadict on this. If we'd had more issues with cheating or the like I'd be inclined to say we could use a mod. But, really, it just hasn't been enough of an issue to bother Toady with it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2011, 07:11:19 pm »

I agree with what the three most realistic candidates for the moderator position said.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]