Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Plant Tag  (Read 924 times)

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
New Plant Tag
« on: June 17, 2011, 09:36:44 pm »

Just a small suggestion. There should be a [YIELDSNOSEEDS] tag that can be added to plants, once added, when the plant is eaten raw it does not yield seeds. Yet brewing/processing/milling still yield seeds.

The problem arises with the inaccuracy of the strawberry. I find it hard to believe that the dwarves eat around the seeds.

This will also aid modders, potatoes, carrots, turmeric plants all can be eaten raw without worrying or even noticing the seeds. And also the variety of modded berries that have been added by other mods.

[EDIT] Surprisingly I forgot to mention that for some plants, the edible part is actually the seed. Such as peanuts or rice[/EDIT]

This would open up a new job, 'Extract Seeds' probably in the farmer's workshop. Where a [YIELDSNOSEEDS] plant is taken and seeds are extracted and the plant is lost. This could open up a new door to fun, if the player does not extract enough seeds they may run out and not be able to plant any more until a lucky caravan shows up. This could make plants with valuable extracts worth more and make the player watch them more closely.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 10:40:08 am by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
Re: New Plant Tag
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 10:15:56 pm »

It's entirely possible they eat around the seeds. What they do is get a pick to mine away all the strawberry, thus leaving the seeds intact. They then proceed to eat the mined-out Strawberry.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Stormcloudy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 11:45:14 pm »

Well, they leave only a single seed, not several hundred, so who's to say they don't just pick one out with their fingernail?

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 05:11:23 am »

Most of the time one seed won't work. You'll need at least a dozen to be sure. That's why strawberries and the like have more then one, to improve the odds.

And how many times have you done that? It's inconvenient and you'd be left with half a strawberry since you would inevitably take out a good chunk of fruit.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 07:15:38 am »

Its a perfectly sensible suggestion. I think it would be worth having in the game. It gives much more flexibility to the plants in the game.
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 05:57:35 pm »

It's a good suggestion, and would add some nifty detail to plants, which I'm all in favor of. However...

Most of the time one seed won't work. You'll need at least a dozen to be sure. That's why strawberries and the like have more then one, to improve the odds.

And how many times have you done that? It's inconvenient and you'd be left with half a strawberry since you would inevitably take out a good chunk of fruit.

All the seeds on a strawberry are on the surface, right? Just take a knife and slice off the skin on one or two sides, and you'll easily have dozens of seeds. :) The really problematic berries would be the ones with soft internal seeds. You'd have to be pretty desperate to pick the seeds out of all your blueberries and "seedless" grapes at the dinner table and still eat the remains.

I think a better idea of how seed collection works in DF is that it's a function of every fortress's omnipresent command economy: Dwarves eat a bowl full of (magically supernourishing...) blueberries in one sitting, and save five percent of their blueberry ration for seed purposes, since the bureaucrats didn't think to save a handful of berries at the point of harvest instead.

Of course! It's actually a social engineering policy. It was clearly designed to enhance the morale of the proletariat by giving peasants the illusion that everyone helps farm for food, even the factory workers.