Advanced search  

Author Topic: LIES!  (Read 1733 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
LIES!
« on: May 09, 2011, 08:59:26 pm »

Has anyone ever noticed that the pre-embark screen lies?
I embarked in a spot with no flux stone, apparently.
I ran a quick dfreveal, though.

There was limestone directly beneath my dwarves' smelly feet.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: LIES!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 09:02:31 pm »

.19 and later doesn't show flux on pre-embark, I don't believe.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 09:07:30 pm »

It does, in fact. It's just that it doesn't always say there is flux when there actually is. I've had plenty of sites labelled "flux stone."

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 09:15:54 pm »

Well, there are good lies too...like the map sticking pockets of marble down near the magma sea when it says "no flux".
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 09:16:57 pm »

Keep biomes in mind as well.  The pre-embark shows the biggest biome, but there can easily be another biome or two that has flux in it, or doesn't.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 10:24:07 pm »

Nope, it was all one biome. The entire biome also had the same minerals in it.

Well, there are good lies too...like the map sticking pockets of marble down near the magma sea when it says "no flux".

The situation I described involved limestone as well as an entire layer of marble half-way to the magma sea. All in one biome.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 03:38:05 am »

The pre-embark screen will show that there's flux if the flux appears in form of a mineral. That would be the occurence of Calcite, which is the only mineralistic flux stone in DF.

The presence of Marble, Dolomite, Limestone and Chalk won't show up on the pre-embark screen. However, the finder will point you at embark regions that contain these layers.

This again means that you're basically forced now to use the finder if you really want to embark on flux (without being stuck to the by far fewer occurences of Calcite); which basically sucks. I personally liked to go over the map by hand and to look at the layer setups of the biomes.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 03:52:13 am »

Running dfprospector, I'm seeing 16 units of calcite on my map..yup..that's why triggered the sitefinder into giving me this spot. No marble, dolomite, limestone or chalk listed..

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 06:41:30 am »

Apart from my understanding that dfprospector doesn't show layer stones and all flux apart from calcite are layer stones - calcite only occurs within layers of limestone or marble. You quite certainly have more flux than those 16 units. Where, though, and just how much more...
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 11:02:15 am »

I've had it lie to me about no aquifers before.  Then when I'd go to embark, it would throw the message up about there being an aquifer present.  Bah.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 11:44:32 am »

Apart from my understanding that dfprospector doesn't show layer stones and all flux apart from calcite are layer stones - calcite only occurs within layers of limestone or marble. You quite certainly have more flux than those 16 units. Where, though, and just how much more...

Use: "dfprospector -b"

And it will show you the layer stones.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 02:23:03 pm »

My experience has shown that in the new embark screen if there are a lot of features to display for a given area (for instance a site with; clay, soil, aquifer, shallow metals, deep metals, and flux), that flux will often be dropped off the list.  Simply removing aquifers from an area has made the flux tag start showing for me in a few cases.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 05:27:37 pm »

Use: "dfprospector -b"

And it will show you the layer stones.
Does that show lignite if it's present as well as bituminous coal?
Yes there does appear to be 8900 marble somewhere.