Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Gauging interest for a Weird D&D 3.5 Campaign Idea  (Read 5197 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Gauging interest for a Weird D&D 3.5 Campaign Idea
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 06:10:59 pm »

I was kinda assuming it was meant to be trade focused because of the way we derailed Jack's game.

I'd be interested in seeing where this goes be it trade or otherwise.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 07:25:40 pm »

I was just thinking of different twists that could be thrown into a D&D game, not necessarily economy-wise. Most of my ideas seem to be turning towards switching the roles of the players, which could be interesting. How would a group of 5 or 6 people stand up against a group of adventurers if they were, say, hobgoblins. It'd be fun to see how the encounters would play out if the players are desperately scrambling to find advantages before the fights. In the games I've played, most encounters are either near-certain death or an easy fight. With monsters as the players, the odds would be stacked way against them, since they're the on the receiving side of an easy encounter.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2011, 07:33:54 pm »

I was just thinking of different twists that could be thrown into a D&D game, not necessarily economy-wise. Most of my ideas seem to be turning towards switching the roles of the players, which could be interesting. How would a group of 5 or 6 people stand up against a group of adventurers if they were, say, hobgoblins.

There was a 2nd Edition supplement for that. Good times. Reverse Dungeon I think it was called? It could still make for an interesting game with the later editions and give players a view from the other side and perhaps show them the difficulties involved in fighting against walking magic-item armories whose abilities far outstrips that of your best warriors when you can hardly get the sods you call neighbors to quit defecating on your side of the dungeon.

I'm interested in the premise of an economic-focused game but not the ruleset. Dungeons and Dragons has slowly become something I loath to touch, for some of the reasons which have popped up in this thread.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 08:59:40 pm by Glowcat »
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2011, 09:09:10 pm »

While reading this thread, two words ran through my head:
Rogue Trader.
I've never played it, but it seems to be what you are looking for, but in space.
I'll look through the rule book and see if it's similar to what you want.

choobakka

• Bay Watcher
  • The same thing we do every night, Pinky...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2011, 09:26:35 pm »

GURPS. There are rules for EVERYTHING.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2011, 10:28:07 pm »

RT would probably work, though its geared more towards 'you and your friends go down to a planet and explore while the ship generates money,' than 'run a trading empire,' but the system could be modified, if used in tandem with Dark Heresy, to play in a medieval/fantasy setting.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2011, 10:44:11 pm »

Ok, I've decided to start a campaign that's basically the characters being monsters that heroes come and try to kill. If anyone's interested, check out this thread.

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2011, 06:14:29 am »

GURPS. There are rules for EVERYTHING.

gurps would be absolutely perfect and so much fun. you can really make unique characters with it. DnD is hard to differentiate characters.

DinosaurusRex_x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2011, 12:59:45 pm »

GURPS is pretty much the most 1337 form of gaming.
Play my picture adventure games: Roll to Dodge Mr T and You Are Douchebag!
Pages: 1 2 [3]