Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Allowing Dwarves to Butcher Goblins/Animal Men in v0.43.05 - Still Possible?  (Read 2055 times)

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello friends, apologies if this has already been asked, coming back to the game after a long break couldn't find the answer anywhere.

I've been trying to mod the dwarves to butcher Goblins/Animal Men/Sapients. I changed these ethics to "ACCEPTABLE": (World was generated after changing the ethics)
Code: [Select]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAME_RACE:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_ANIMAL:ACCEPTABLE]
Which used to work flawlessly in v0.42. But now the dwarves simply refuse to touch the pile of Animal Men corpses next to the Butcher's Shop, no "Butcher a Dead Animal" jobs are being generated, and if I manually queue a "Butcher a Dead Animal" job it auto-cancels with "Needs butcherable unrotten nearby item".

In the name of science I tried removing the [CAN_LEARN] tag from Animal Men, but dwarves still aren't butchering the corpses. Am I missing a step somewhere? Or is it no longer possible to mod dwarves to butcher sapient creatures? I noticed they're being stored in the "Corpse" stockpile instead of the "Refuse" stockpile now, don't know if this is related.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile

Ya anything with; can learn, can speak, or intelligent can't be butchered.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right now it only applies to worldgen interactions (dwarf A devoured his opponent goblin B after a siege) and world generated goods (troglodyte leather etc, making a item out of a murdered dwarf in a fell mood is only punishable for murder if it can be proved etc.) practically.

Dwarves will also not be repulsed by objects made of other beings with those changes.

Dwarves cannot eat neutrals (natural critters) locals (fortress population, extending to domesticated livestock without slaughtering and being unintelligent first) or allied units (merchants from the entity, performers etc) however there are rumours that they can eat invaders (because they are neither local, neutral or allied) but testing for that is pending.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile

As you said it used to be possible, but in some 0.40 update Toady accidentally made it impossible to use any item made from an intelligent creature for anything. Which of course includes the. corpses for butchering jobs.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile

You could add an ITEMCORPSE tag to the sapient that you want butchered, have it produce a tool item upon death, then use the tool in another reaction to get meat. Can't get bones or skulls in a reaction, though (afaik).

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile

ADDENDUM: no, that doesn't work. If the creature was sapient, the ITEMCORPSE item will be unusable.