Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sanity check before I bug this  (Read 1418 times)

bsherard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Sanity check before I bug this
« on: May 10, 2011, 10:32:05 pm »

Standard foreword applies(searched for similar recent issues, etc).

Problem: wiki states "Brass can be made using one of the following recipes: [...] Sphalerite + Native copper or Malachite or Tetrahedrite "

and I have

-smelter with no profile restrictions
-dwarves with furnace operation(can smelt say gold ore just fine)
-access to Sphalerite, Tetrahedrite ore(ore, not blocks)
-access to charcoal

additionally

-no alert burrows are active
-no dwarves are assigned to permanent burrows
-no coal, ore or furnaces are forbidden
-dwarves with the proper labors are available(no job)
-default settings for economic stone

Any other things I forgot to consider before submitting a bug? Is the wiki not correct?

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Re: Sanity check before I bug this
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 10:41:45 pm »

Well, it's possible that the Wiki is wrong, instead of DF...

"Well Mr. Johnson, our records indicate you're dead, although obviously you are standing here, alive, so there is definitly an inconsistancy to correct *stabstabstabstabstab*... Alice?, could you get janitorial to my office?, Thanks."

Well, according to Wikipedia, Sphalerite is zinc ore, and brass is Zinc+Copper, so it should work. What happens when you try?, is it just not listed at the furnace, or does the job cancel, or what?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 10:47:25 pm by kaenneth »
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 10:46:01 pm »

it might be a bug. try using the manager work orders to see if you can make any.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 11:14:03 pm »

Are you using magma forges?  Those are notorious for being too far away, and thus the zinc/copper ore is "too far away" to use.  Try a rock stockpile near the forge that accepts ore only, and see what happens.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 11:16:32 pm »

Well, I checked for you. My favorite furnace operator rushed to your assistance. Do you have burrows operating, or can they path to all the ingredients? Double check that the furnace operators have furnace operating enabled, and that they are not busy with other jobs.
Next, unforbid all stones from Stocks menu. Search for locked doors, and if all else fails, make a tiny stockpile for the ores, near  a furnace. Will show if there is a pathing problem.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

bsherard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 11:20:39 pm »

Man you guys are fast. I figured it would be a day before I'd have a reply.

"it might be a bug. try using the manager work orders to see if you can make any. "

This did the trick. I now have shiny brass bars made straight from ore. Thank you, sir. Steel production also had this problem(possibly for a different reason involving foreign traded components), but this workaround fixed both issues so I am very grateful. 

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 02:14:43 am »

Man you guys are fast. I figured it would be a day before I'd have a reply.

"it might be a bug. try using the manager work orders to see if you can make any. "

This did the trick. I now have shiny brass bars made straight from ore. Thank you, sir. Steel production also had this problem(possibly for a different reason involving foreign traded components), but this workaround fixed both issues so I am very grateful.

A bug should still be filed if indeed the direct order from the workshop does not function.