Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Endless fish  (Read 1298 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Endless fish
« on: March 24, 2011, 08:22:08 pm »

I have several fisherdwarves with no other jobs besides fishing labors, yet they hardly ever run out of fish to catch. I put up walls around part of the brook and a murky pool on the surface, and in the 5 years this fort has been running, they only ran out of fish twice. Is this normal with the new version?

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Endless fish
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 08:27:54 pm »

Yeah, I'm fairly sure fish lay shittons of eggs. Be careful of crocodiles, though.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 08:34:38 pm »

Do fish even lay eggs in the current version ?

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 08:35:55 pm »

Giraffes lay eggs. And fish actually do lay eggs IRL. Where do you think caviar comes from?
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 08:43:26 pm »

DF fish are vermin, though, so they don't need to lay eggs. They just come up when the game requires them too. I don't think overfishing is possible, either.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 08:44:59 pm »

In the current version, the only aquatic creature that has the egg-laying tag is the sea serpent, and those don't lay eggs because nest boxes don't work underwater.  Fish are actually coded to give birth to live offspring, except they don't because they're vermin and don't have the [PET] tag anyway.  Toady was supposed to have fixed the fish population issue in the current version, so perhaps they're breeding off-screen, or just are being created initially in such large numbers that they never run out.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 09:09:38 pm »

I understand that they're asexually budding.  One person who haxed and embarked with cave spiders (the vermin kind, not GCS) had some in a cage, and was suddenly swarmed with wild cave spider around this cage.  So, it seems to be that they mysteriously generate, and more often generate near others of their kind.  This was done purely to make fishing possible and avoid overfishing.

Shells for moody dwarves are no longer a finite resource!

Unnoskol

• Bay Watcher
  • Stryk teh erth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 02:21:24 am »

Really? Verry interesting.

I have a game here. Its landscape has 5-6 murky pools, only one of which had any fish (turtles, actually) and has been out of stock since 31.14.  Now let's see whether my fisherdorfs will finally have some use for their nets.