Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Starting Dwarf Skills  (Read 6536 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Dwarf Skills
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 01:44:18 am »

Ohyeah, always bring either a high level smith or none at all. Smithing takes non-renewable (mostly) resources and if you make low quality stuff, ain't no gettin' rid of it except for melting which doesn't give you back all you put into it.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 04:39:34 am »

1 - diagnostician/medical dwarf
2 - organizer/appraiser/negotiater/judge of intenter/pacifier (expedition leader)
3 - grower/herbalist
4 - carpenter/mason
5 - weaponsmith/armorsmith
6 - swimmer/military skills (militia commander)
7 - some sort of crafter, mechanic is probly best

I embark with a log, a few rocks, an anvil, a few units of food and lots of drink, a cat, some ducks and a whole bunch of iron ore and flux.  The grower gathers herbs then plants some crops aboveground.  The carpenter makes a wood axe which the exp leader clearcuts the map with.    Someone starts making the logs into charcoal and someone else smelts the ore and the smith makes a pick, then a full suit of steel armor.  The doctor gets the pick and digs out a temporary fort room in the soil, then bores down to the magma sea.  Also its very dwarfy for the chief doctor to perform surgery with a mining pick.  I suit up the militia commander with the armor and a wooden sword and have them go kill whatever is on the map for food and training and lols.
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Mekboy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEGABEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 04:44:56 am »

1. Miner/Mason/Architect
2. Miner/Mason/Architect
3. Miner/Mason/Architect
4. Mechanic/Broker
5. Grower/Brewer
6. Grower/Cook
7. Stone crafter/Bone Crafter/Wood crafter

I embark with 31 units of each drink, and 11 different types of food, in groups of 11. Tools-wise I bring 3 picks and 20 units of cloth (I use the furniture workshop from Genesis, which can make beds from rock and cloth).
Quote from: CatalystParadox
Aw, Mekboy! A song for meeeee?
You're so sweet.  Why don't you just come in here so I can give you a hug.
... bring my pants.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
You seem to be under the illusion that we give a shit about what happens to dwarves who are too dumb to live.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 05:38:14 am »

More information than you probably want: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Starting_build

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 05:45:29 am »

Two miners, two woodcutter/carpenters, an Engraver/Mason, a 'manager' type with broker, record keeper etc skills and a hunter/butcher-type. I let the miners mine only, no hauling, at the start and set the manager to crafting and stuff. Mason often also no hauling but furniture-making.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 07:56:24 am »

7 peasants should do nicely.

You know about Dwarf Therapist, do you?
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 08:37:11 am »

For me I like to bring 2 miners, 1 leader with 5 leadership skills and the rest of his points in architecture, A mason/mechanic, Woodcutter/carpenter, A butcher/tanner/cook and a grower/brewer. I take no axes. The carpenter can disassemble the wagon and use the 3 wood from it to make a training axe to cut more wood down. I also bring no anvil. The hundreds of free points lets me bring more seeds for farming, 4 copper picks to get under the ground fast. I also bring a male and female dog. 2 female and a male cat and some turkeys for the huge amount of eggs they put out.

With this all round setup I usually have a well plus my farms irrigated by the summer. A few dwarfs get put to stonecraft making to trade when the caravan comes and buy an anvil/more seeds/food/booze. Sometimes weapons depending on what ore is on the embark.

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 08:46:27 am »

I like to go for fluffy dwarves.

A leader/record keeper as the head of the expedition.

A handful of peasants that become my herbalists/farmers/fisherdwarves.

Occasionally a hunter as I think that fits in with 7 dwarves sent with some supplies to found a new outpost.

A pair or trio of military dwarves that initially mine and chop wood and fill in for any other jobs I need.

I usually embark with very little equipment too. A couple of axes, bucklers and picks, maybe backpacks and waterskins as I think the expedition dwarves would have those with them, a few bags (now empty as the supplies are all gone) and an anvil (what dwarf would embark without one?). I might also bring a few dogs and chickens. I do all my farming outside and exposed to the sky for the challenge.
Pages: 1 [2]