Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: bridges  (Read 3520 times)

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
Re: bridges
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 02:10:44 am »

But they aren't, sadly.
Unless they are artifacts.  I just got lucky recently and 3 dwarves made artifact floor hatches, which makes my fortress impenetrable without building walls or retracting bridges.

Three of all the same useful piece of furniture?  Does that count as two or three consecutive miracles, would you say?

Constructions are indestructible.  Built furniture is not.  Unless what Ber said about artifacts being indestructible is true, which would mildly surprise me.

It wasn't consecutive, a have a billion crappy rings, figurines and toy artifacts too.  My current fort is about 20 years old now.

Whether artifact hatches can be deconstructed by building destroyers or not, I just figured they wouldn't be able to.  Fortunately for me, they never make it past my military.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 02:27:57 am »

I've been testing this, actually.

The surprising answer is that it depends on the type of artifact.

I've been testing multiple furniture types, but I'm not confident about most of them.  These are the ones I'm confident about:

Artifact metal statue: Deconstructed by lvl 1 building destroyer, doesn't even take that long.

Artifact bone hatch cover: Not pathed to by lvl 1 building destroyers; lvl 2 building destroyers attempt to destroy, but never do.  (That also means that they never go through it, even if it's open.)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 02:24:19 pm »

Yes, if you make a raising bridge that is composed of only one square tile, it will work, however it will look the same open and retracted. 

For that very reason, I do not make 1 tile bridges, I use a floodgate or hatch instead, since they pretty much do the same thing.
Flood gates don't crush stupid kids neither nobles.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 08:50:23 pm »

Artifacts are indestructible, however, everything I've read says that building destroyers will eventually just deconstruct the artifact, leaving an intact but out-of-place door/floodgate/hatch a tile or two away from where it was before.

I have heard that hatches (And bridges) cannot be destructed from ramps below them. Haven't figured out a good way to test this yet.

No they can't, the building destroyer has to be on the same lvl to deconstruct them.

Oddly enough, however, thieves can pick the hatchcover from below.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 10:17:15 pm »

Artifacts are indestructible, however, everything I've read says that building destroyers will eventually just deconstruct the artifact, leaving an intact but out-of-place door/floodgate/hatch a tile or two away from where it was before.

I have heard that hatches (And bridges) cannot be destructed from ramps below them. Haven't figured out a good way to test this yet.

No they can't, the building destroyer has to be on the same lvl to deconstruct them.

Oddly enough, however, thieves can pick the hatchcover from below.

It's complicated.

First of all, building destroyers can't destroy bridges, either from above or from below.  Bridges can deconstruct from temperature, or from closing on/under something big though.

The hatch situation is actually pretty easy to test.  All you need is a building destroyer.

This situation:
Code: [Select]

__h___
 _____L

side view, _ is floor, h is hatch cover, L is forgotten beast

is 100% safe from building destroyers, even flying building destroyers.

This situation:

__h____
 __<___L

< is stairway

is rumored to be safe, although I've never tested it-- guess I'll do that.

This situation:

__h_ ##
 __<#\_L

# is wall, \ is ramp

is entirely different, and I suspect that the hatch can be destroyed by the building destroyer, even though the FB will stand underneath it (on the slope) while destroying it.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 11:00:44 pm »

__h____
 __<___L

< is stairway
I have tested this with trolls and FB and it is safe, I haven't tested it with goblin thieves but kobold thieves have picked it from below.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 11:30:29 pm by tolkafox »
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 11:27:28 pm »

Although keep in mind that if you don't forbid the hatch, the building destroyer can just wander up anyways!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 02:20:40 pm »

I've used the 1-tile long (but not wide) drawbridge/retractable wall thing for a trap room. Useful for quick cleaning/reset, and easing pathfinding when the walls are down, and making it longer/trap-filled when they're up.

Link: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9045-return-to-wavehandle

Look at the trap for an example of it setup.
Pages: 1 [2]