Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Caring about the idlers?  (Read 1606 times)

knaveofstaves

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes bogeymen for their terror-inspiring antics.
    • View Profile
Re: Caring about the idlers?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 05:35:03 pm »

This problem is why I'm working on Dwarven Guidance Counselor.

Lets you know what those idlers are worth as raw materials, maybe they should be hauler drones, or maybe they've got the attributes to grow into something better...
Dwarven Guidance Counselor, my little scripting project.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 05:35:44 pm »

I generally remove all activities from my dwarves as they arrive in their migrant waves, leaving them with only hauling jobs allowed, and then on an as-needed basis switch off their hauling jobs and give them semi-permanent industry jobs. Usually, one they get an assignment it sticks unless I have a lot of deaths at once and need to reorganize my workers to cover necessities (food production, brewing, and the like.)

With my current brand-new fortress I intend to use a new system which will work with this system where instead of full-time military dwarves, I will have squads who are periodically assigned to stand in the danger room or to kill things, and when they are 'off-duty' (not given orders) they are haulers. They would never be put into a general 'active' state, since giving a kill or station order will activate them for the duration of the order.

My reasoning is that if my hauling suffers during a siege, so what? It'll be over quickly as danger-room-trained dwarves tend to mop up most sieges.

I usually try to assign dwarves to jobs in this sort of manner:

Low-priority production - one workshop, two dwarves.
Medium-priority - Two workshops, three dwarves.
High-priority - Three workshops, five dwarves.

This tends to keep all of the workshops in use, with a minimum of idling industry dwarves and a minimum of unused workshop-time. Once I've gotten up to the 3 shops / 5 dwarves level in a particular industry, it's time to start branching out into a new industry.

I usually leave the wood-based industry less developed until I get the smithies running, but of course this is all heavily dependent on magma access and number of trees on my map.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 05:40:55 pm »

I add them to my ever expanding army of haulers, woodcutters and miners. Sometimes adding to militia squads as well. Plus having a body of replacements for losses in sieges is useful. You can always build an arena and make them fight captured goblins/monsters for your amusement.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 10:37:14 pm »

Or, to put it bluntly: I wanna see how much pain Urist McCrashTestDummy can handle.

I like this one. Can we keep him?
Pages: 1 [2]