Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Preventing Spread of Underground Tree Spores  (Read 3748 times)

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
Preventing Spread of Underground Tree Spores
« on: May 01, 2011, 07:53:31 pm »

Is it possible to prevent the spread of tree spores after the breaching of a cavern?
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Preventing Spread of Underground Tree Spores
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 07:55:08 pm »

No. Spores are magic. Only way to stop spores is to kill the source with much magma.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 07:59:13 pm »

No. Spores are magic. Only way to stop spores is to kill the source with much magma.
Doesn't work. I once had a spore tree grow in my magma moat.
Soaplent green is goblins!

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 08:09:57 pm »

Maybe this should go under the Mod forums...

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 08:13:20 pm »

SOW THE LAND WITH SALT!

Any other building material works too.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 04:13:08 am »

Unfortunately once the caverns are breached, trees, shrubs and fungus (grass) will grow on any underground soil or muddy rock that isn't covered with something, 'something' being any buildings, constructed floors, roads, bridges, or any other such thing. So for example, I tend to pave my underground aqueducts with stone roads, which keeps trees from growing in them if they are ever drained (trees won't sprout in 7/7 water, although the cavern lakes will be full of them). To keep your fortress free from plant life, just dig your fort through stone, not soil, and keep it dry unless you intend to use it for farmland, and pave over any area that may grow plant life if you don't want it to.

Keep in mind that this spore effect can be quite handy; my current fort has a tree farm in progress, so that my dwarves don't have to climb the 30+ z-levels to the surface or wait for a caravan for wood.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 05:03:54 am »

Doesn't work. I once had a spore tree grow in my magma moat.

Trees are immune to magma, if I recall correctly.

Hurgal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 06:54:26 am »

I haven't tested recently, but in past versions, stockpiles were very effective at keeping things from growing in their tiles.  This (if it still works) is much more effecient than buildings, since it requires no dwarven labor whatsoever, and can be installed and removed with minimal keystrokes.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 12:11:22 pm »

I think trees won't hit maturity while under a stockpile.  However the only way to completly prevent the underground trees from growing is to make sure that every muddy or soil surface that is underground has some sort of building.  Paved roads and farm plots work well.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 10:34:37 pm »

Unfortunately once the caverns are breached, trees, shrubs and fungus (grass) will grow on any underground soil or muddy rock that isn't covered with something, 'something' being any buildings, constructed floors, roads, bridges, or any other such thing. So for example, I tend to pave my underground aqueducts with stone roads, which keeps trees from growing in them if they are ever drained (trees won't sprout in 7/7 water, although the cavern lakes will be full of them). To keep your fortress free from plant life, just dig your fort through stone, not soil, and keep it dry unless you intend to use it for farmland, and pave over any area that may grow plant life if you don't want it to.

Keep in mind that this spore effect can be quite handy; my current fort has a tree farm in progress, so that my dwarves don't have to climb the 30+ z-levels to the surface or wait for a caravan for wood.

Alright, thanks. I was hoping for a more automatic method for keeping unwanted vegetation from cluttering up soil, but whatever works :)

I haven't tested recently, but in past versions, stockpiles were very effective at keeping things from growing in their tiles.  This (if it still works) is much more effecient than buildings, since it requires no dwarven labor whatsoever, and can be installed and removed with minimal keystrokes.

Not sure if that works anymore. I recall changing stockpiles a couple times in previous fortresses, only to be presented with a vegetative overgrowth under the stockpiles.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 02:33:17 am »

Not sure if that works anymore. I recall changing stockpiles a couple times in previous fortresses, only to be presented with a vegetative overgrowth under the stockpiles.
Stockpiles merely stopped saplings from growing into trees. They never stopped vegetation from growing.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 03:13:11 am »

As i recall if you get mud over your paved roads you'll get trees anyway, or am i mistaken?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 05:22:04 am »

Not paved roads; they work like farm plots and bridges. Dirt roads, however, won't stop trees.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."