Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Under attack in first season..capybara??  (Read 2409 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
Under attack in first season..capybara??
« on: May 09, 2011, 06:07:19 am »

What the heck are these things. I was just going along getting my fort set up, just got the first wave of immigrants..and suddenly I see this spam about people being interrupted by a "capybara woman".
I find it, and there is some woman, I guess, wandering through my fort. No warning, no pause, next thing I know, expedition leader/broker/trader smoked.
I couldn't even have a military now if I wanted it.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Under attack in first season..capybara??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 06:14:35 am »

Yeah this happens occasionally. My shortest fort lasted mere seconds because I spawned right next to an Alligator which chewed all my dwarfs.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 06:22:16 am »

Yeah this happens occasionally. My shortest fort lasted mere seconds because I spawned right next to an Alligator which chewed all my dwarfs.

I just dropped everyone into a squad and swarmed it. but I didn't even know it was hostile. The wiki says it's a rodent..so why is it listed as a "woman" with a name?

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 06:47:51 am »

It's that, but in a humanoid, female form.
Apparently they don't like you.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 06:48:13 am »

Capybara man/women. Theres all sorts of animal people that can appear in untamed wild biomes.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 08:41:49 am »

I embarked and was immediatly attacked by a pack of sketal capybara, they werernt to much danger but were fast, hard to kill and constantly interrupted all my dorks efforts to build/chop etc

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 12:47:48 pm »

People underestimate the capybara. At first glance, they do not appear to be much more than overgrown guinea pigs. However, such animals become terrible beasts when accosted with medical syringes in scientific experiments, even to simply draw blood. They bite hard.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 01:14:28 pm »

Capybaras aren't a problem for any mildly skilled military dorf, but giant capybaras will fuck your shit up. Especially the undead ones. Those are so nasty that i seal off my fort while they're anywhere near. To put things in perspective: My axedorf had killed scores of undead capybaras and their humanoid cousins (most of them popped up in medium-sized groups too), only getting nicked on one hand once. I then think of sending him to deal with the undead giant capybaras. Shortly after, he and his pieces were resting in a massive pool of dwarven blood, generated by the savage interaction between humongous rodent incisors and not-so-tough dorf meat. I'm not sure if he got in a single strike before getting torn apart.

So yeah, giant capybaras. They may not be badgers, but DAMN those are some sharp teeth.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER