Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a rant  (Read 1671 times)

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
a rant
« on: April 28, 2011, 03:38:11 pm »

Ok, i wont pretend i want to raise a discussion or that i am asking something: i am simply ranting here.

I wanted to try something different, a fort with no iron, using bronze.
But the stupid ***ing cassiterite apparently doesnt exist, anywhere in the dozen worlds i created.
If i could at least know whether site has granite prior to embarking:-(

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a rant
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 03:41:46 pm »

I've taken to using DFHack's prospector and reveal tools prior to setting up a new site. If the reveal function feels too much like cheating to you, you can just use prospector and scan to see if the ores you want are even on the map. Just make sure that "initial save on embark" is turned off in your init file. Then if you don't like what you see on the map, just hit crtl+alt+delete and kill the dwarf fortress process. That will let you embark somewhere else without having to generate a new region.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 03:44:26 pm »

There is no cheating in single player, i already do that.
Funny thing is that prospector is actually unreliable and sometimes shows rock that isnt in there.

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 03:48:27 pm »

Really? I've never actually noticed that... Of course I just end up revealing everything to make sure the site has a magma tube or a HFS temple or whatever else I'm looking for, so I just note the layers as I scroll down.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 03:51:59 pm »

It seems to me that some tiles are generated as having stone but then emptied and made into a cavern or magma sea/semimolten rock, yet prospector counts them as their original designation.

But most probably its something entirely different.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 05:29:37 pm »

Weird, my current embark==nothing but cassiterite, mounds and mounds of the stuff, no other metals, though, so I get my copper from goblinite and convert it into bronze. Also tinting everything.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 06:03:54 pm »

It seems to me that some tiles are generated as having stone but then emptied and made into a cavern or magma sea/semimolten rock, yet prospector counts them as their original designation.

But most probably its something entirely different.

Over in the DFHack thread, that seemed to be the consensus.  Semi-molten rock tends to screw up DFProspector because the rock is there, it's just semi-molten.  I had an embark that supposedly had a few tens of thousand marble somewhere, but a manual search using DFReveal couldn't find it.

Bottom line, if you need a specific mineral - turn off the initial auto-save, embark and run "DFProspector -b".  If you don't like the results, kill the DF process and embark elsewhere.  Usually takes me half a dozen embarks to find a spot with a reasonable amount of iron / tin / copper, and with a layout that doesn't completely suck (like 100+ levels to the magma sea - which I check using Overseer3D).

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 06:58:01 pm »

Or go back to 31.18 My embarks (Lazy Newb World -> 2x2) had lots of copper, and 1-2k tin.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 07:53:34 pm »

Or, you could simply up the mineral scarcity. Doing this may give you loads of minerals though. Don't know what else to say.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 12:34:37 am »

I typically set the metal scarcity to "Frequent".  It's not quite the metal bonanza 31.18 had, but its also quite a bit easier to get a weapons-grade metal for use of some kind.  Of course, "shallow metals" can mean gold, platinum and the one that gives you nickel, and nothing else. ;(  (that was so frustrating, because otherwise it was a really nice embark)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 07:32:30 pm »

Or go back to 31.18 My embarks (Lazy Newb World -> 2x2) had lots of copper, and 1-2k tin.

Eh, I like a lot of the 31.25 features too much (eggs, hospitals that work, etc).

MINERAL_SCARCITY of 500 is a reasonable number (the 2500 default is way too minimal).

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 05:16:17 pm »

I run it on 100. Does that make me a bad person?

The thing is that I prefer to have iron AND a nice terrifying swamp. Terrifying swamps are always fun.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)