Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starving stray creatures ?  (Read 1631 times)

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
Starving stray creatures ?
« on: May 10, 2011, 05:45:52 pm »

Hi,

I'm running 31.25 and I can't help noticing stray creatures are starving left and right.
I can't recall this from my playing last year...is this normal ?

Cheers,
Luigi
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Starving stray creatures ?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 05:51:34 pm »

Something tells me that this question is going to be asked forever, as old players re-play and new players hop on, all shall be confused by the fact that living creatures enjoy eating.

Grazing animals eat grass, so place a pasture zone via the "i" menu, and pasture the animals atop grass.  They will eat it and starve if the grass isn't thick enough.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 06:00:46 pm »

Thanks, I see there have been many changes, bees, eggs and whatnot.
No worries, to the wiki !!!  :D

Batdwarf Forever !

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 06:06:47 pm »

Thanks, I see there have been many changes, bees, eggs and whatnot.
No worries, to the wiki !!!  :D

EDIT : ...and elephants are incapable of feeding themselves fast enough to stave off starvation.  :o :D

Batdwarf Forever !

Justin In Oz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 06:31:28 pm »

So butcher them immediately and enjoy your elephant roasts!

waronmars

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 06:37:55 pm »

I found that my yaks were starving even when placed on an enormous pasture. Anyone else have this problem?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 06:47:38 pm »

I found that my yaks were starving even when placed on an enormous pasture. Anyone else have this problem?

The grazer value for yaks is unrealistically high, they need more food than normal cows when they are supposedly able to subside of considerably less food in real life (or was it less nutrient food?)...

I just butcher yaks and eat them.  The only grazers I will raise are alpacas because they eat very little, provide spinnable wool, and are milkable.  Most of the time, however, I just butcher all animals but dogs.  I love doggies, if only they could be milked and shorn XD.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 11:19:19 pm »

The grazer value for yaks is unrealistically high, they need more food than normal cows when they are supposedly able to subside of considerably less food in real life (or was it less nutrient food?)...

I just butcher yaks and eat them.  The only grazers I will raise are alpacas because they eat very little, provide spinnable wool, and are milkable.  Most of the time, however, I just butcher all animals but dogs.  I love doggies, if only they could be milked and shorn XD.

Mod them! Soon dorfs shall have dog wool socks.
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 11:24:20 pm »

Give an all new meaning to the term "sheep dog". :P

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 11:31:55 pm »

Most of the time, however, I just butcher all animals but dogs.  I love doggies, if only they could be milked and shorn XD.

When has that ever stopped us before?

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 05:23:43 am »

I love doggies, if only they could be milked and shorn XD.
Mod them. Making them milkable is really easy, just copy from a female caste of a milkable animal and rename the milk and products from "alpace milk" and "frozen alpaca cheese" into "dog milk" and "frozen dog cheese".

Making them shearable is a bit more complicated, but also possible. Note: You may have to restart your fortress after messing around with the hair tissue of your doggies, because my game started to crash whenever I looked at my modded tomcat after he was shearable. That might have been because I modded this in a quite noobish fashion at first though.

For the shearing mod, you need this posting here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83277.msg2220544#msg2220544
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.