Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mythos: The Diablo style MMO  (Read 2065 times)

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
Mythos: The Diablo style MMO
« on: April 30, 2011, 12:00:00 pm »

Mythos

So for those of you who don't know, Mythos is an MMO that was originally created by a large group of ex-Blizzard employees who worked on the Diablo series. They created the Flagship Studios, which also worked on Hellgate: London. It got as far as a beta, and then was closed down when the studio collapsed due to financial issues. Rights were left with a Korean company, Hanbitsoft, which continued development. Its been apparently for awhile in Korea, and it was just released on April 28th for Europe. But not for North America because apparently there's three different companies handling development/release for Korea/Europe/North America.

Their release trailer, which is a little...eh
A video from closed beta from MMOHut, which goes over alot of stuff

Whats its got going for it

-Its like Diablo, but an MMO
-Free, with a minor item shop that doesn't give you a one-up on other players
-Four races, three classes. Each class has the same Diablo-style skill trees
-Nice crafting system
-Sockable items
-Good tutorial
-Party system
-Guilds
-An Achievement system that actually means something! You get an achievement slot every ten level, which you can place an achievement that gives bonuses.
-Plays good on low spec systems
-Two different view systems, Isometric and MMO
-Did I mention its pretty much a Diablo MMO?

First Impressions

It plays like the older version, which i was in the closed beta in. I only just finished downloading and installing and have played for less than an hour, so I'll come back to this. But its fun so far! Plays like Diablo and I've noticed some cool stuff. You can use the E key to pick up loot. When in parties, you don't have to worry about loot splitting because everyone gets seperate loot drops. I've also noticed a nice solid FPS despite my horrible graphics card when I'm on the lowest settings. Also despite the fact that the server is in Europe and I'm playing in NA I'm not getting alot of lag
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 12:06:04 pm by quintin522 »
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

King Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mythos: The Diablo style MMO
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 06:44:50 am »

I read the forums for this game as I was thinking about trying it out. All I could find were people complaining about the massive grind and how they will quit once beta is over. Oh and how incompetent the devs are. I was scared away.   :-\

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 08:02:40 am »

I enjoyed the beta until the company folded.  The influences of That Other MMO are obvious, but whatever, every game rips it now.

It's a fun game if you're looking for MMO-Lite without a serious commitment.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 02:16:53 pm »

huh, this got resurrected?

'twas an okay game, standard stuff though I liked it more when it was purely randomized instances instead of the overworld crap.

I also remember a convesation with a friend about whether the rifle in the game were rifles or shot guns.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 02:19:16 pm »

I used to play the closed beta, it was quite fun, but lag was a major issue.

If you had a 150ms ping to the server, playing close range safely was almost impossible.