Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best way to injure without killing?  (Read 635 times)

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
Best way to injure without killing?
« on: April 30, 2011, 03:05:02 am »

So I have about 2 dozen captives all waiting for experimentation.
Some of them were drowned,
Some used for sparring practice,
Some used as pincushions,
Some of them were thrown 15 z-levels down where they were splattered...

There are plenty of creative ways to "kill" captives, but I want to know if there was a way to injure/immobilize my prisoners while still keeping them alive.
Ideally, the perfect injury machine would sever all of their limbs off, break a great deal of their bones, bruise them all over, and of course cause extreme pain, but what would be a good (and reliable) method of doing so without things getting too messy?

and also, how do you disarm caged prisoners again?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 03:12:14 am by noodle0117 »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to injure without killing?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 03:21:35 am »

There are plenty of creative ways to "kill" captives, but I want to know if there was a way to injure/immobilize my prisoners while still keeping them alive.
Ideally, the perfect injury machine would sever all of their limbs off, break a great deal of their bones, bruise them all over, and of course cause extreme pain, but what would be a good (and reliable) method of doing so without things getting too messy?
Drop them 3-5 z-levels. They'll usually survive with broken limbs and bruises. Severing prisoners' limbs is unreliable, as your blades might decide to go for the heart or head instead of the arms.

and also, how do you disarm caged prisoners again?
d-b-c to claim everything in the tile their cage is in, d-b-d to mark everything in the tile their cage is in for dumping, k over the cage itself to unmark the cage from dumping. Alternatively, use the stocks screen to claim and mark everything you want to take away from them for dumping. Dwarves will come by and take items that are marked for dumping to a garbage dump, thus disarming (and, using the first method, disarmoring) the prisoner.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 03:34:09 am »

Arena. That is all.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 04:42:33 am »

Train unarmed combat with them . Lots of broken bones.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 04:50:35 am »

May I suggest causing a cave-in? Ideally, collapse the floor the prisoner is standing on, but you can also instead collapse something right next to the prisoner (not on top of them, else you just get pancakes). More often than not, I had civilians survive such things with many broken bones. You run the risk of also tearing the spine, therefore dooming them to suffocation, but it should be worth it.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 04:59:24 am »

Is there any reliable way to injure to the point where they are certain to never be able to walk again?
Or should i just stick to NecroRebel's idea and make some kind of injury staircase?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 02:28:50 pm »

F.B toxins can do it esp, if you take away the clothing and expose them to a contaminated trench. Alternative cave blobs cause painful, incapacitating welts, but are non fatal (except via infection)
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?