Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !!FUN!!  (Read 848 times)

dude_ftw@live.com

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!!FUN!!
« on: April 29, 2011, 11:59:02 pm »

I got my first Forgotten Beast on this map with deadly spittle. Being the person I am, I decided I needed to go down there and kill it even thought I didn't actually have to. Right after losing one of my military, I see vomit and no combat logs of it and the beast is dead. I haven't played the save in 7-8 days. I expect some !!FUN!! to ensue me. Thoughts? Is spittle that deadly?

The beast was made out of GRIME, it was a humanoid with antennae and pincers. Deadly Spittle!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: !!FUN!!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 12:11:20 am »

You might have a couple of blisters, coupled with mild pain in a few months.

Or you might have a plague of flesh-eating lunatics.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 12:22:40 am »

Forgotten Beast syndrome-bearing abilities usually have 4 different effects associated with their syndrome, always at maximum intensity for that effect. These might be annoying-but-harmless, like pain, numbness, drowsiness, and dizziness (a victim of those 4 together would be asleep until the drowsiness wore off), or absurdly lethal like unconsciousness, bleeding, necrosis, and functional impairment (a victim of those 4 together would be knocked out, instantly have all of their blood teleport out of their veins, have their entire body rot on the bones, and their lungs and heart would stop functioning). Any combination of the syndromes found here can be caused by deadly spittle if it strikes a dwarf. And no matter how harmless or deadly it is, it's always called "deadly spittle."
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Tessien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 03:41:56 am »

I'm not sure thats true, I had a forgotten beast with deadly dust that only made my dwarves hearts rotten. Still killed them very dead, but it wasn't over the whole body.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 04:36:04 am »

Again, I'm skeptical about the "maximum intensity" and amount of effects thing. Had dorfs survive a combination of vomiting, fever, and goddamn blisters all over the body; they walk it out within 5 minutes like nothing happened. I had dorfs who were only affected by long, but temporary blindness. And I had 4 dorfs drop dead quickly because the only syndrome they had was brain rot.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

callahan.44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 05:12:49 am »

I think the intensity varies too. I've seen rot that's taken days to get past swelling stage, to the extreme of they're fully rotted after moving 20 tiles.

Deadly blood can have the same effects, but its potentially a lot more dangerous (!!fun!!)

All it takes is one stupid dwarf to step in it, and you can end up with a toxic spill that'll take out half your fort.

McStupid ends up in your hospital.
Someone cleans them creating a nice pool of toxic sh!t there.
Someone hauls the bucket...the soap...brings water...feeds the patient...

Before you know it, even legendary McSurgeon can't keep up with cutting out the rot and pus.
"I had it all. I had a fortress that was very decent, a military that was getting very respectable. I was close to being complete."
"Shit man, now it's all gone."