Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sawmill v.02 - the new wood industry?  (Read 7409 times)

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sawmill v.02 - the new wood industry?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 04:01:26 am »

Oh, right... underground... but, no wait... I dont seem to find any stalks, am i supposed to gather them from the aboveground like plants or from the caves? The option to strip them does not appear...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 07:54:52 am by Kattaroten »
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 04:16:47 am »

Nice :)

I had tried something like this, but the intermediate step was the key it seems.

I have modified your work a bit so that processing for wood also returns a seed, and I decided to call it dwarven whiskey in line with the other underground derived boozes.  I also renamed the plant from wood stalk to cave bamboo, but thats just because I like bamboo :)

Anyway - it works a cracker, you can grow the stuff and process it for wood, or turn it into whiskey - although - hmm - perhaps I will turn it into vodka instead.  Anyway - now i can shoot bamboo bolts at people, and I may have to celebrate by making some horrific bamboo harpoon shooting weapon.

Thanks for posting this.

Sangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 05:35:19 pm »

I had some help from folks in the mods section on making this self sustaining.  You can add in a line to the reaction that will produce wood and seeds so you can just grow your own.  The line is:

[PRODUCT:100:4:SEEDS:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:STALK_WOOD:SEED]

This will produce 1 wood and 4 seeds per 4 woodstalks.  You will need to add it after the existing PRODUCT line for the reaction.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 04:25:04 pm »

Will this work? I thought that seeds from reactions only produced placeholder plants for the first 2 generations deep.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 08:54:24 pm »

The seed production works fine - the key is in the differences between the wood producing product, and the seed one.

[PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:STALK_WOOD_BRANCH:WOOD]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:SEEDS:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:STALK_WOOD:SEED]

Note that the wood comes from the 'branch' sub-plant while the seed comes from the growable alcoholable main plant.

Pages: 1 [2]