Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Those moments in the game that make you go "Oh.. wow...."  (Read 980 times)

dirkzen

• Bay Watcher
  • Flood the depot. Get free stuff.
    • View Profile
Those moments in the game that make you go "Oh.. wow...."
« on: April 28, 2011, 11:49:53 am »

Our group embarked with high hopes, their heads held high as they approached the mountains,  the glistening of jewels already catching their eyes as an entire kingdoms' worth of riches appeared to be sticking right out from the sides of the rocks, out in the open,  beckoning my miners with their sweet siren song.
My two miner fellows had apparently been best friends for quite a while, seeming to be as close as brothers as they carved out tunnels side by side, cutting through the thick, impossibly tough rock and ore as easily as a hot knife through an elf.  They even took breaks together, collapsing side by side on the ground as they caught their breath,   and leaning back to back as they both guzzled down the finest dwarven ale I could brew for them.
They were nearly inseparable. 
Until SHE came along.

A short, squat, curvy female of a dwarf.  Long brown hair which tumbled down in curly locks over her shoulders.  Eyes as dark and liquid as sapphires.  Massive child-bearing hips.  Able to down an entire keg of swamp brew by herself,  only to get a slight buzz.  Her first day, she completely dismembered an angry badger with her bare hands.
Every dwarven boys' dream.

She took a liking to my digging team,  following my boys around everywhere they went.   Teasing and flirting with them every chance she got.
She seemed very interested in mining,  so I signed her up.  I needed a lot of digging,  so every able bodied dwarf who could carry a pick was a welcome sight.
Except she never did.   
She just used it as an excuse to get closer to my digging team.

My two miners became distracted,  their once complete unison was now a jumbled mess as they each tried to show off their skills to her.
Their work became sloppy.
Then.. it finally happened..

Forgotten beasts flying up the wells and eating them might cause some negative effects.

dirkzen

• Bay Watcher
  • Flood the depot. Get free stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Those moments in the game that make you go "Oh.. wow...."
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 12:07:11 pm »

I had assigned them to hollow out a small hill which was literally bursting with jewel clusters,  normally, a very quick, easy task for my fellows.
Now, before you judge my planning,  I must explain something to you.
These two fellows absolutely refused to die.   They had survived more cave-ins than any other dwarf should have the mortal right to.
They seemed to have this... 'skill'  of knowing exactly where to stand before a collapse.
They were cave-in experts who had balls of adamant.  (encrusted with adamant, and adorned with adamant rings.  Masterwork dwarven quality.)
So I thought nothing about this routine task.

Little did I know that 'she' was coming along for this ride as well.

They worked furiously,  picks swinging,  rough jewels and massive chunks of rock flying behind them.  They barley broke a sweat,  even as the earth suddenly turned into metal ore,  only making them work harder.
...and there she was..
They became distracted.
...the hill collapsed, completley destroying the ground beneath it,  and sending both of my miners swiftly away to whatever God they believed in.
I was completely devastated.    I stared at the screen with my mouth wide open.
No...  please..  no... 
I numbly scrolled back up to my fortress.   I needed to make more booze and clear my mind of this awful tragedy.

Later,  I scrolled downwards beneath my fortress,  about to wonder what the hell I was going to do now.   So much digging needed to be done.. so many rooms I needed for my w...
...then, I saw her.
Digging furiously as if she was possessed.
I hovered over her.
A broken leg.
Smashed foot.
A broken hand.
Multiple fractures in her arms.
Multiple bruises and splintered bones.
Internal bleeding.
...how the FUCK was she still standing.....

I imagined her crying tears of sorrow and rage as she swung her pick against the stone.  She would finish what they had started, even as she nearly blacked out from the pain again and again. 
She would try to finish her work,  even as she bled out halfway through,  her last breath coming in a ragged, bloody gasp as she collapsed in the middle of the nearly-finished hallway.

I'll admit to all of you, right here and now,  it brought tears to my eyes.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 12:20:07 pm by dirkzen »
Forgotten beasts flying up the wells and eating them might cause some negative effects.

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 12:58:17 pm »

-Claps-

Pretty nice story, man. I enjoyed reading it as much as you most likely enjoyed writing it.

It's missing something though... Could it be... Magma?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 01:40:29 pm »

oh... wow...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 06:25:55 am »

-Claps-

Pretty nice story, man. I enjoyed reading it as much as you most likely enjoyed writing it.

It's missing something though... Could it be... Magma?

and has she swung the pick with the last of her strength, the fiery blood of the mountain poured outward, encasing the mining team in a tomb, for all eternity.

and you know, melting them and killing the rest of the fortress  8)

Befenismor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 08:02:31 am »

Awe.

Some.
1024: You brag about your golden goblin ejaculator.