Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Method for moving magma horizontally  (Read 1792 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Method for moving magma horizontally
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 10:35:12 am »

Depends on what kind of industries are available to your fortress. I've so far never had one that needed more than a total of two workshops, and that only required two carpenter's workshops because of the massive pumpstack I was building for a flood system. My latest one is currently drying out after I had to open the flood gate to dig in for the Hospital's water supply.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 10:49:27 am »

It's a 31.14 sandy desert, which means on the one hand I can't do the funky new ceramics etc, but on the other I have vast quantities of ore (particularly sphalerite and limonite), more flux than I'll ever need (up above everywhere is chalk and the lower caverns are marble), and the fort is mature enough and large enough that it can basically do anything which doesn't require too much magma. And we have adamantine, though not very much at all, it's enough that my militia captains are now nigh-unstoppable.

It's why my forges and masons are so extensive - with the magma in place to fuel them I can mine and smelt huge amounts of ore, and I have half a dozen masons' workshops turning excess stone into blocks for easy storage. But I can't think of anything else that could use that kind of scale...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 01:06:42 pm »

I'm starting to think that what I could do is turn the old forges into a mega-kitchen. They're not TOO far from the dining room, and it would be nice to use up the huge amounts of stuff I have that's inedible, like tallow, syrup and sugar. Plus, getting dwarves to live solely off cooked food would be a nice challenge!

Read that as 'Magma-Kitchen' at first, which made me think, "hmm, kitchens currently 'cook' without using a source of heat, like wood, maybe kitchens should need a heat source, making magma kitchens a reasonable option." screw Honey-Mesquite BBQ'd beef, I want Honey-Magma BBQ Badger! (wait, honey-badgers, or badgers roasted in honey?, or double-honey-badger-roasts...
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.
Pages: 1 [2]