Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ghosts of the Magma Channel  (Read 819 times)

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ghosts of the Magma Channel
« on: April 27, 2011, 03:12:58 pm »

recently, i had an engraver meet his fate by magma in an unfortunate industrial accident. which is to say, after the adamatium was mined and moved, he was engraving fortifications into a stone wall to allow magma from the huge pool into the space under the various magma-powered workshops. he didnt run fast enough.

the magma flowed fast, and soon not even his corpse remained. smoke of his unintended cremation wafted upwards, and soon we had the heat needed to start smelting galena and making glass trap components. Outside, a seige was taking place and our defenses were sadly inadequate. hurrah for raising bridges. (currently on seige 3 with trolls, and the goblins killed an ettin for me).

He was awarded one of the standard coffins on the crypt level, with no corpse to bury. and now... now i have his ghost haunting the magma pipe where he died O.o "a forlorn haunt, seeking out known locations or drifting around the place of death."

so, what do i do? im glad the ramp out is blocked, but the forge isnt blocking its magma source. this is the first time ive ever seen this happen, and its... odd.

Urk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ghosts of the Magma Channel
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 03:25:33 pm »

You can make slab and then engrave memorial of this particular dwarf to it.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Slab

Its same as burial but without corpse.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 03:29:20 pm »

yeah, found that in the wiki. made one for the Ettin that stopped by while i was at it.

had some trouble figuring out how to place it, so i just forbid everything but the one i wanted. ghosts put to rest now at least. its an interesting feature.

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 03:33:05 pm »

yeah, found that in the wiki. made one for the Ettin that stopped by while i was at it.

had some trouble figuring out how to place it, so i just forbid everything but the one i wanted. ghosts put to rest now at least. its an interesting feature.

Use x to expand the list in the build item selection menu.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 02:48:20 pm »

Just keep him!  Forlorn haunts don't harm anyone, and no longer cause F.P.s problems--I have a ghostly speardwarf watching the cavern entrance and a ghostly child who grew to adulthood (ghostly child has become a ghost!).  Sadistic ghosts are a really issue though--if you get one, you're lucky if you catch it only after somebody bleeds to death from a severed limb and no combat log.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?