Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squads stuck on Individual Combat Drill  (Read 2640 times)

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Squads stuck on Individual Combat Drill
« on: April 26, 2011, 03:40:09 pm »

Just got attacked by a forgotten beast (surprisingly my first, even though the fort is quite mature), and it somehow managed to reach my main level undetected. So I activated the alert to send my civilians into a deep bunker, and ordered my troops to go and kill it.

However, apart from one hammerdwarf who attacked it single-handed, all my soldiers are in the barracks (at the other end of the fort) doing individual combat drill. WTF? I gave them the order, all I can guess is that I screwed something up with the squad settings on the alarm (which I don't understand at all). But changing them has no effect at all. So what have I done wrong?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Xorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Squads stuck on Individual Combat Drill
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 04:31:52 pm »

How long were they in the Individual Training for? Sometimes they just have to finish what they were doing before they will follow orders.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 04:57:54 pm »

Idle civilian dwarves will still do individual combat training during their free time.

If you want to stop them from doing it free up the barracks.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 06:10:21 pm »

kill orders can be undependable in general, move orders are much more certain.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 02:33:51 am »

thegoatgod_pan was right - the kill order was the problem. I think it only affects dwarves already within a certain radius of the target? Once I gave them a move order to go near the FB, they all headed for it. Didn't stop my militia captain trying to take it on one-on-one, but luckily being clad head to toe in adamantine plate clearly counts for something, he seriously wounded it (without getting the kill) at the price of nowt more than a bruised leg.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.