Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Earth Map for Dwarf Fortress  (Read 6712 times)

xcrissxcrossx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Earth Map for Dwarf Fortress
« on: April 23, 2011, 10:34:14 pm »

Are there any Premade Earth maps for Dwarf Fortress?

mcguinty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Earth Map for Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 07:48:33 am »

I don't think it's possible to do the whole Earth. With temperature as it is, it's only possible to do the northern or southern hemisphere. (In DF, maps have a cold part in the North and hot part in the South or vice versa).  I know you can find some continents and such like North America and Scandinavia. I'd give you a link but I'm too tired at the moment.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 09:38:38 am »

I don't think it's possible to do the whole Earth. With temperature as it is, it's only possible to do the northern or southern hemisphere. (In DF, maps have a cold part in the North and hot part in the South or vice versa).  I know you can find some continents and such like North America and Scandinavia. I'd give you a link but I'm too tired at the moment.
Actually, by maxing out temp variations, and increasing temp. ranges, I get glaciers and scorching deserts in both north and south, I think with Perfect World and a lot of hand-tweaking this could be done.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 09:49:43 am »

No it's not possible.  What you did, "criscross", was to make the temperature variations disappear.  No matter what there will be a strip of hot and a strip of cold.

IF one could import a temperature map, it might be possible to compensate for this, but it would be exceedingly difficult to keep the edges being corrected right.  Every time you genned a new world with different temp parameters, the entire temp map would be re-randomized.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 11:57:44 am »

Objection your honours! While the temperature isn't right (I'll give you that) In the perfectworld DF thread there is an Earth worldgen that works.
Blargh.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 05:05:58 pm »

It won't be to scale, and it won't have the correct temperature distributions but yes... it is possible.  Better to create something like Africa or Asia or North America... That can actually have the correct temperatures and be to-scale.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 07:48:31 am »

Well of course it wouldn't be to scale, yet it's there. If it was to the actual scale of Earth it would take a supercomputer to run, imagine the possibilities though. :o
Blargh.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 09:16:39 am »

Well of course it wouldn't be to scale, yet it's there. If it was to the actual scale of Earth it would take a supercomputer to run, imagine the possibilities though. :o
Embark on the equivalent location of your home in the map.  Build a dwarven computer, and get it to run dwarf fortress.
You're running dwarf fortress inside a dwarf fortress in dwarf fortress.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 06:56:38 pm »

Embark on the equivalent location of your home in the map.  Build a dwarven computer, and get it to run dwarf fortress.
obligatory "i heard you like dwarf fortress, bro" joke

alcohol_dependent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 07:13:38 pm »

obligatory "i heard you like dwarf fortress, bro" joke

Ah herd u liek Dwarfs. So ah put a dwarf in ur dwarfs. So u can dwarf whiel u dwarfs!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 07:48:10 pm »

Anybody got screenshots?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 09:07:11 pm »

And why not?  Modders managed to figure out how to run Minecraft in Minecraft.  Sort of.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 07:07:56 am »

And why not?  Modders managed to figure out how to run Minecraft in Minecraft.  Sort of.

What is this I don't even...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 09:08:48 am »

What is this I don't even...

Let's just say some people have way too much time of their hands.