Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF2010: Immigration  (Read 1218 times)

Strant

• Bay Watcher
  • MagmaMan Carpenter
    • View Profile
DF2010: Immigration
« on: April 25, 2011, 05:18:19 pm »

If I understand the current state of immigration correctly; the first two waves are made out of thin air, further waves are taken from actual dwarfs living in the world?  Also, when you abandon a fortress, all your surviving dwarf move out somewhere.  Is this correct?

So, has anybody had a dwarf come back to you?  I am very intrigued by the possibility of keeping my dwarfs throughout my fortresses.  Or at least the survivors.
You mine sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010: Immigration
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 05:47:41 pm »

further waves are taken from actual dwarfs living in the world?  Also, when you abandon a fortress, all your surviving dwarf move out somewhere.  Is this correct?

No. This is the plan for the future, but in the current version, all migrant waves are conjured out of thin air, based partially on the distribution of jobs in your fortress. I believe that when you abandon, your dwarves are stored in the world file, but there is nothing done with them. They don't end up in sites in adventure mode, and they're not used as a pool to provide migrants to future fortresses.

All that has been talked about for the future by Toady, but most of it awaits the Army Arc, at the very least.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Strant

• Bay Watcher
  • MagmaMan Carpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 06:38:57 pm »

The wiki disagrees with you.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Immigration

I'm pretty sure that I read about finding your dwarfs in Adventure mode.  Possibly in the Headshoots AAR.

Can anyone confirm or deny these reports?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 07:31:53 pm »

it appears to be using existing members of your civilization created during worldgen rather than creating them out of thin air as in previous versions.

That's the only reference, and it's vague at best. It may randomly decide to give you a dwarf out of world gen, that's not the same as having a whole list populated by world gen figures that gets updated with your dwarves on abandon, and serves as the list for future migrants.

To be fair, they may be able to found at sites, that I'm not 100% sure about. But they don't get added to your migrant waves for new fortresses in old worlds, Toady has been asked about that specifically and it doesn't happen yet.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 09:11:00 pm »

Well if Toady's really simulating a world, with THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of people living in it, what do you HONESTLY think is the possibility of finding one dwarf out of a population the size of, say, Chicago, spread out over an area the size of, say, North America?

OK maybe those numbers aren't exactly right but you get the idea.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 09:30:49 pm »

I believe in an older 31.xx version migrants were actual people, that's why they came with jobs like Drunk. I believe that's stopped happening in the newer versions, though.

Strant

• Bay Watcher
  • MagmaMan Carpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 10:22:24 pm »

Well if Toady's really simulating a world, with THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of people living in it, what do you HONESTLY think is the possibility of finding one dwarf out of a population the size of, say, Chicago, spread out over an area the size of, say, North America?

Considering the fact that they're coming to me instead of me searching for them and the immigration/attrition rate of the typical dwarf fortress; unlikely but well within the realm of possibility.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 01:18:13 am »

You can definitely find your guys in adventure mode, I've devoted numerous adventurers to trying to kill my militia from an abandoned fort for their blue stuff (all got wasted, since fortress mode training is hard to beat).  Usually they are a short ways away from your fortress, indicated on the world mini-map by a weird symbol. In my experience, when you find them, all survivors will just be standing around, doing nothing in the middle of the woods.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?