Poll

Is Goblin Camp a good game?

Yes
Pretty good
Meh
Not very good
Awful

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Goblin Camp - Ding! Update.  (Read 5564 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Camp
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 04:18:31 pm »

well, I for one got to know the game by this thread.

by the way, that linked site has a nice hand holding approach to complexity.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 04:21:48 pm »

I swear to god, one day we will actually be able to have a conversation about Goblin Camp on this forum without it devolving into Freudian-esque discussions on the intrinsic problems of forum communities. In the meantime, I really don't think we can blame people for starting new threads, because every single GC thread ends that way, and nobody wants to necro a flamefest.

The last thread, that I linked, actually wan't a flamefest and actually had a lot of good information, so yes, you're right that we will be able to have the conversation about GC you described- it's already happened, and the OP here is ignoring it.  Your assertion that every GC thread ends bad is incorrect, as proven by this.  Also, I don't think you can use Freudian in the way you're trying to use it. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:24:03 pm by Capntastic »

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 04:52:25 pm »

I swear to god, one day we will actually be able to have a conversation about Goblin Camp on this forum without it devolving into Freudian-esque discussions on the intrinsic problems of forum communities. In the meantime, I really don't think we can blame people for starting new threads, because every single GC thread ends that way, and nobody wants to necro a flamefest.

The last thread, that I linked, actually wan't a flamefest and actually had a lot of good information, so yes, you're right that we will be able to have the conversation about GC you described- it's already happened, and the OP here is ignoring it.  Your assertion that every GC thread ends bad is incorrect, as proven by this.  Also, I don't think you can use Freudian in the way you're trying to use it. 

Then I apologize, as I've already read two or three GC threads that completely failed to be that conversation and didn't really feel like reading another one; in any case, there is a clear pattern of these threads devolving. Whether or not the generalization is correct, though, doesn't really matter, because clearly this thread is following that pattern.

The psychoanalytic (Freudian) perspective of psychology focuses on what's bad or wrong about someone. I see no reason why the term can't be applied to sociology, i.e. the habits and culture of two forum communities, as well.

But hey, I'm only contributing to what I want to not happen. So, as long as I'm posting in this thread anyway: I really like the spawning pool mechanic of GC. It makes it a lot easier to control your population size than it is in DF. I like DF's migration system as well, but it's neat to see GC taking a different approach to things.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 05:14:27 pm »

The psychoanalytic (Freudian) perspective of psychology focuses on what's bad or wrong about someone. I see no reason why the term can't be applied to sociology, i.e. the habits and culture of two forum communities, as well.

I mostly meant your saying "Freudian-esque" which is like saying Roguelike-esque, which might well be Roguelike-like.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 08:12:18 pm »

Ding, update.
Changelog:

•Battlements allow your orcs to fire over walls with their bows
•Rain
•Winter – The ground gets covered with snow and the river freezes over
•Terrain overlay, press ‘t’ to view only the terrain + creatures
•Immigrant creatures. Trolls are the only immigrants right now, but more can easily be modded in.
•River width and depth configurable in config.py
•Performance optimizations
•Many tileset renderer improvements both in performance and features (you can find the translucent ui option in the settings menu)
•Statistics are now gathered (production, death, filth generated) and points are calculated from it.
•Items flow downstream
•Rewrite of the pathfinder in terms of threadsafety. Should eliminate most if not all crashes.
•Autosaves
•Keyboard cursor movement was finally fixed. You can use the numberpad instead of the mouse if you want to.
•UI has been improved, scroll bars are better and the menu disappears when you make a choice, though it leaves your choice visible as a tooltip.
•Water can be barreled and is now required for several products.
•Creatures avoid fire better.
•Wind now behaves more realistically, and instead of being completely random will only shift a set amount   from the prevailing direction. This allows better planning against total death by fire.
•The river is now generated slightly smarter, and filling tiles with earth should work more as expected.
•Save compression, saves a lot of space and isn’t very notable speed-wise.
•Improved tutorial
•Setting to pause on danger (attack or fire)
•Goblins will now dump surplus items into the spawning pool, handily eliminating the problem of accumulating a big pile of wooden clubs from kobold attacks.
•Goblins douse flames automatically, though you can still order more goblins + orcs to help out if you want to concentrate the effort somewhere.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Camp - Ding! Update.
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 08:17:33 pm »

I am curious now, so I am trying it now, so I will see it now, and I will determine now, whether or not I like it now.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 08:32:35 pm »

Killer bee swarm vs. 2 unarmed orcs.

"Nooooottttt faaaaaiiiiiiirrrrrr!"

Those were the last words of Gutlokshak and Gobgul the Fat.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 12:58:31 pm »

So far I'm liking this. I definitely recommend the video tutorial as it's much more in-depth than the written one on the wiki.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 02:03:10 pm »

sum1 shud tel me wat dis ting is 4 i am 2 lazy 2 chek 4 myslf
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 05:42:03 pm »

Trolololol

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 05:48:55 pm »

Oh yeah, this is that game that I kept meaning to try out but never got around to it...

Hopefully I'll remember to download it tonight.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 07:07:12 pm »

I hate nature.
Pages: 1 [2]