Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: The most immersive plot based, real emotion game you know.  (Read 9697 times)

Chandos

• Bay Watcher
  • bork bork bork!
    • View Profile
Re: The most immersive plot based, real emotion game you know.
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2011, 11:30:10 am »

Planescape Torment: best story ever.
Also Freespace 1&2 have very immersive stories where you take the role of a regular fighter pilot in the midst of a brutal, bitter and losing battle of survival against an unrelenting foe bent on complete wipeout of all human race. I have yet to play a game that can communicate the sense of scale (physical and emotional) so well.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2011, 02:47:57 pm »

Also Freespace 1&2 have very immersive stories where you take the role of a regular fighter pilot in the midst of a brutal, bitter and losing battle of survival against an unrelenting foe bent on complete wipeout of all human race. I have yet to play a game that can communicate the sense of scale (physical and emotional) so well.

FreeSpace 2 did an exceptional job with that...you really felt like you were doing your part to prevent humanity's extinction, often at great cost.

KG

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2011, 02:52:23 pm »

I'd forgotten the good old space-dogfighting genre. Yeah, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Freespace...those were all pretty good at getting me so sucked into tactical awareness and evasive manuevers that I really did lose track of time, hunger, etc. Especially TIE Fighter, because you spend so much of the game going "AIIEEEEEE I HAVE NO SHIELDS ONE HIT AND IM DEAD DODGE DODGE DODGE".  :P

Freespace has that whole "Capital Ships are GINORMOUS" thing going for it. I still remember when the Lucifer first warps in, and you have to hit afterburners just to get out of its way.

Man, they really need to start making some more of those.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2011, 03:07:59 pm »

I'd forgotten the good old space-dogfighting genre. Yeah, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Freespace...those were all pretty good at getting me so sucked into tactical awareness and evasive manuevers that I really did lose track of time, hunger, etc. Especially TIE Fighter, because you spend so much of the game going "AIIEEEEEE I HAVE NO SHIELDS ONE HIT AND IM DEAD DODGE DODGE DODGE".  :P

Freespace has that whole "Capital Ships are GINORMOUS" thing going for it. I still remember when the Lucifer first warps in, and you have to hit afterburners just to get out of its way.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I watched the video for that, and it made me want to get the game.

I want to play another X-Wing style game with today's hardware. So much potential. Graphics and gameplay-wise. Thank goodness for at least a new Mechwarrior game coming out.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 03:18:37 pm by Itnetlolor »

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2011, 03:15:49 pm »

I Have Candy Get In The Van was pretty good at being emotionally draining with its bad endings.

Actually, yeah. This is a game that really makes you feel awful about the choices you make.

If you aren't a sociopath-pedophile, anyway.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2011, 03:46:18 pm »

I Have Candy Get In The Van was pretty good at being emotionally draining with its bad endings.

Actually, yeah. This is a game that really makes you feel awful about the choices you make.

If you aren't a sociopath-pedophile, anyway.

Oh, then most of us should be fine.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2011, 03:48:42 pm »

I'm going to sound somewhat craaaazyyyy, but Proffesor Layton and the Lost Future has a rather immersive plotline, in my opinion. I mean, at the bit where
I nearly cried.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Chandos

• Bay Watcher
  • bork bork bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2011, 04:20:23 pm »

Not to forget all the moments where you would get caught in the huge beam of energy coming from the cannons of a capital ship, melting away in it's blinding light... Or barely winning a cap ship duel and nearly losing the human flagship in the process only to find out... I won't spoil this part for people who haven't played it yet. :)

I wonder who owns the franchise right now. Any idea?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2011, 04:33:25 pm »

Yes, FreeSpace is great... You can get it from Good Old Games these days, btw, if someone is a total barbarian and has not played them. I still stay with my earlier comment regarding Torment, though. :P I really liked TIE Fighter too, it was much better than the Rebel games. It came with a short novel in the box... and I think it was the last game I got on disks instead of a cd.

edit - Naturally P&P roleplaying games are superior beyond anything else regarding immersion, emotion, interest and plots. However, I thought this thread was about computer games. Otherwise I could tell a dozen stories about tabletop games and bore you all to sleep. :P
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 06:06:14 pm by Majestic7 »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2011, 05:10:20 pm »

One more to reinforce Stalker.  One of my favorite games.  Also a great exercise in storytelling.

Which is odd because it doesn't have a story in the traditional video game sense.  The setting IS the story.  There is a sparse plot, but that's really only a vehicle to tour you through the setting and you can even get away with mostly ignoring it.

I'll also be second to throw in that nothing beats tabletop role-playing for plot immersion (I don't think video games were ever specified as a thread requirement).  The Burning Wheel is also the best system I've seen for optimizing that.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2011, 03:34:05 am »

Oh god, how could I forget about Dreamfall?
That game is one of the most magnificent pieces of storytelling I've ever seen.

Are we talking about the first "The longest journey" or the sequel? Dreamfall is the sequel, and I heard it's rubbish :o

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2011, 04:41:35 am »

I grew quite attached to my troll in Fairy Tale Online.  When he keeled over i was Bummed!
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2011, 05:20:02 am »

Oh god, how could I forget about Dreamfall?
That game is one of the most magnificent pieces of storytelling I've ever seen.

Are we talking about the first "The longest journey" or the sequel? Dreamfall is the sequel, and I heard it's rubbish :o
The sequel. Of course, YMMV, but while I really liked TLJ, it was Dreamfall that made a lasting impression on me. Knowing - and liking - the story and characters of the first game certainly helped with kickstarting me into having positive feelings about the second.
I'd advise you to try it out, and decide for yourself. I can't imagine you not liking it enough to call it a time wasted, even if you might not fall in love.
Just keep in mind, when you ignore the story, the characters, the music, the visuals, and look just at the gameplay - it's really a mediocre game. And a lot of people complain about a huge cliffhanger at the end.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2011, 09:26:40 am »

Lufia II had a very light atmosphere and wasn't anything atypical of a JRPG.

Which makes the situation at the end kinda jarring.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2011, 10:05:22 am »

Lufia II had a very light atmosphere and wasn't anything atypical of a JRPG.

Which makes the situation at the end kinda jarring.

More like be your best friend, grow up, go on the best adventures together, then suddenly take a knife and stab you repeatedly, and laugh at you as you lie bleeding to death, type of jarring.  The music there makes it even worse. 
Still one of my favorite JRPGs though.

Terranigma had an awesome story, and remains to this day my favorite.

STALKER, and Morrowind are good on the immersion parts too.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 10:21:29 am by Cecilff2 »
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]