Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tired of boring embarks  (Read 1993 times)

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tired of boring embarks
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 04:16:28 pm »

tanks bunches.

How do I get the land of gorgin files to play in dwarf? I coppied them all into my main dwarf folder and it's not showing up as a playable world
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 04:31:12 pm by Zaphod »
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 06:13:16 pm »

Bump time
I only play legends mode

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 07:07:10 pm »

Is it in the save folder?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 07:37:07 pm »

The Land of Gorging doesn't work; something's wrong with the save. "Missing Reaction Definition" when I tried it.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 02:11:06 am »

:(

well how do i put the one's on the wiki into the game?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 02:12:39 am by Zaphod »
I only play legends mode

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 02:17:03 am »

To use a worldgen example, open data/init/world_gen.txt with a text editor (notepad.exe is fine) and copy/paste the parameter set text into it, then start Dwarf Fortress and select "Design New World With Advanced Parameters". The world parameters will appear in the list on the right of the screen. Select the name of the parameter set with the arrow keys and hit Enter.

It's outlined on the page, it's just small and high-up.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 02:24:39 am »

derp, misread it.
I only play legends mode

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 06:57:53 am »

Gotta play with adv. Worldgen to get lots of good sites. Tweak it depending on what you are after (you can do this with the vanilla ones, or ones you downloaded). e.g. I put 30+ volcanos down when I feel like a volcano embark (on a pocket map btw, so many more possible on bigger maps). It's better to check 30 sites per world than gen 30 worlds and hope the volcano is in a good spot.

Same with evil. I boost evil and good to high levels (nearly half the map each), increase savagery a bit etc.

Hardest embark I had was where there was zombie / skeletal giant eagles, so search for terrifying biomes which could support giant eagles (and badgers). Terrifying Badger Land claimed 68 dwarven lives for me (many reclaims) before the outer defences were secure. That was on a hacked nano-fortress (1x1 embark!) so badgers/giant badgers/badgermen + zombie versions, would appear right next to the dwarves.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 07:07:19 am by Reelyanoob »

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2011, 09:12:37 am »

Zaphod, first familarize yourself with the advanced world gen options in the wiki, then follow the instructions in the PerfectWorldDF manual included in the download. With that info, you can make any world you can imagine almost. You just have to dive in and become a world gen expert. Don't underestimate the fun that can be had just with that.

One complication is that PW hasn't been updated in a few versions, and there are two world gen tags that need to be adjusted manually in the game with the advanced options right before you gen the world. Night creatures and also mineral scarcity. (I'll update it when I have time... for anyone interested. Probably with a more version friendly system.)
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2011, 09:35:59 am »

@cephalo : Can I put real-world map data in with Perfect World?

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2011, 08:22:54 pm »

@cephalo : Can I put real-world map data in with Perfect World?

Yes.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2011, 10:46:57 pm »

There's also a hacked exe or a program that gives you more dwarfs to start with. Can't recall the name or the thread, but feel free to search if interested. You know.. to get faster into the action itself.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 02:41:00 pm »

I will say that for max fun I'd not go with undead, in the current version they are generally very easy to take down (and also yield no resources, food or otherwise, they just vanish when killed).  The most exciting danger wise embarks I have done were evil embarks that had live things (ogres, werewolves, etc), they trend much stronger. 

I also second downloading Fortress Defense II, I use it in every map and it adds far more sieges with various creatures (ranging from fairly weak to very strong), after a year or two you'll likely start getting hit semi-regularly with attack forces sometimes numbering more then thirty or forty strong.

-MB
Pages: 1 [2]