Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The hornet Forgotten Beast stings Urist McVictim in the arm...  (Read 1041 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

... the severed part flies away!

Once again, I'm reminded of how ludicrous DF physics (or is this physiology?) can sometimes be. Anyway, it's dead now but this brings the important question of how it got in. The only way in would have been flying diagonally down. Apparently just slapping a wall where my staircase used to be isn't enough to stop flying mobs from getting in. Well ok, 1 dwarf is a cheap price to learn this lesson - already building a more robust cavern breach point.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
Re: The hornet Forgotten Beast stings Urist McVictim in the arm...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 11:08:04 am »

Big stinger? It'd kinda be like a big rapier or a sword, easily able to sever fleshy parts... I think.

Oh. And I dunno about the diagnal stuff, I usually build the walls farther back, in a straight hallway so there's no chance anything is getting through... course.. I've never seen a FB either..

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 11:17:58 am »

Yeah I do think they fly diagonally. One FB got up the stairwell to the sleeping district that way.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 12:13:57 pm »

Big stinger? It'd kinda be like a big rapier or a sword, easily able to sever fleshy parts... I think.
Has to be bigger than that - we're talking super robot drill-like here. Fitting for a Forgotten Beast I guess.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 01:11:32 pm »

It's just an explosive poison. First beast injects poison with its sting, then poison explodes and tears a limb apart.

Once again, I'm reminded of how ludicrous DF physics (or is this physiology?) can sometimes be. Anyway, it's dead now but this brings the important question of how it got in. The only way in would have been flying diagonally down. Apparently just slapping a wall where my staircase used to be isn't enough to stop flying mobs from getting in. Well ok, 1 dwarf is a cheap price to learn this lesson - already building a more robust cavern breach point.
Huh. I also was suspicious about flyers traveling diagonaly.  level z =1 had 3x3 stairwell, and level z=0 just 1x1 stairwell directly at center. When a beast came, I plumbed central tile with floor and was thinking I'm safe. But after a while, when I was busy with anti-beast device, it somehow got in. It had no other way than diagonally up to stairs.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 01:37:00 pm »

There's another thread about diagonal flyer travel in the DF Questions forum. General consensus was that it's not the wall itself that prevents diagonal-vertical travel, it's the floor that comes standard on top of the wall. So I imagine that if you were to build the wall directly on top of the stairwell, things could get in diagonally because there's no floor under the wall. You could probably prevent this by constructing floors instead of walls to seal off stairs. They're constructions, so they're just as indestructible.

Darion

• Bay Watcher
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 01:52:16 pm »

how do i see it in my mind:

Summoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 02:35:39 pm »

This thread made me chuckle
Ahhh A Bunny Carp! Run

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 03:06:00 pm »

If the stinger was just 3 inches wide and got between the radius and ulna it is just a quick tug to take off the arm.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.