Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So many animals...  (Read 947 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
So many animals...
« on: April 23, 2011, 11:56:37 am »

In my main fort I have a slight problem: massive amounts of animals (was about to reach a total of 400). Therefore I have begun mass-butchering animals, but I would like to know one thing: is there any reason I should spare anything else than grizzly bears and elephants (grazer-tags removed) from The Butcher? I believe I will need cats *shudders* to keep the vermins away, but anything else? Ideas, please let me know.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So many animals...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 12:04:38 pm »

Keep a few non-eating animals chained up for watch, and weaponize anything possible. Make sure to keep the butchering industry unclogged, too; there will definitely be plenty of food.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 01:14:30 pm »

Breeding species is a good idea--elephants breed once in a while and their children take nearly a decade to mature.  However if you're happy eating your bears, they can work
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 01:19:30 pm »

If you have dogs , you can place all your dogs into one cage. Let this cage be operated by nearby pressure plates , voila , dog bomb .

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 01:56:57 pm »

If you have dogs , you can place all your dogs into one cage. Let this cage be operated by nearby pressure plates , voila , dog bomb .

We had just started our attack on their fortress and were inside their main defenses when Griznak noticed a small wooden cage. "Hey, what's in that-" he said, right before fifty war dogs burst out of it, in ultra-slow motion. We were lucky. If it had been bunnies, we'd all be dead.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 04:42:49 am »

Bah! Who needs dog bombs when you have... Grizzly-Elephant -bombs!

When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 04:53:50 am »

Keep a couple of goats or sheep for wool in case a moody dwarf demands yarn.  Stuff all non-grazers in a single cage and butcher them at your leisure.  Maybe keep a few birds for making egg roasts, but food probably won't be an issue any time soon.  :P

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 08:05:01 am »

May be a problem there. My save has been started during 0.31.14, so no birds or sheep.

I think I have modded bear skin to act as yarn-cloth, but I cant be sure if it worked.

Also, I have removed the grazer-tag from... everything... My area isn't very grazer-friendly.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 09:48:38 am »

I "only" have 150 animals - as many as I have dorfs - and they are all completely useless.  I slaughter whatever I can, but a huge percentage are pets, which means I can't slaughter them, and they are breeding as fast as my butchery pipeline can go.  (I currently have over 4000 prepared meals and still 1500 meats even with legendary chefs and three kitchens and a constant queue of making lavish meals...)  And there are things like bunnies and birds which are pretty useless to slaughter since they don't really give you much of anything.

So I pen them up outside the fort to act as an emergency warning system.

I've gotten rid of dozens of bunnies and birds like this.  I try to keep a breeding pair of rabbits though since they breed like ... well you know. 

You can station a pen underneath a drawbridge and atom-smash them too.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 01:45:32 pm »

Always slaughter the female animals first so that they don't go and have litters / foals / calfs...

Dwarftosser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 02:23:14 pm »

I've begun meeting migrant waves at the door with meat cleaver in hand, if it needs to graze, it's more useful to me as a pair of boots.