Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artificial Sinkhole Lake / High-Pressure Deathcannon. Ideas?  (Read 872 times)

Helix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artificial Sinkhole Lake / High-Pressure Deathcannon. Ideas?
« on: April 24, 2011, 04:52:57 am »

So gents, I've just embarked on the border between a joyful plain and a mountain range. As luck would have it, there is a natural 15 Z-level pit with a thin wall facing the plains and a convenient brook running next to the rim.

My plan is as follows: Building my fort into the wall of the pit, I shall redirect the brook to fill it to the highest possible capacity that is practical. While building the main entryway facing the plain at the base, I shall construct a series of valves to harness the pressure the future reservoir will lend me. I plan to have my living areas built into the 'dam' wall with plenty of windows and balconies so the future tenants can witness the spectacle of invading armies and harmless traders alike be washed away by the purifying flow. A natural protrusion in the lip of the pit will be fashioned into a control tower, and by the cunning of dwarven engineering the precision application of high-pressure water shall prove to be a decisive for the preservation of Dwarven Supremacy (barring unforeseen !!Fun!!).

Now I know my way around a fort, but I would be fooling myself if I called myself particularly competent. So I put it to you my friends: Are there any suggestions? Comments? Criticisms? (I've a particularly bad case of early abandonment syndrome, so having an audience will hopefully keep me on track)

Edit: Screenshots!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 05:28:09 am by Helix »

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Artificial Sinkhole Lake / High-Pressure Deathcannon. Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 05:21:11 am »

How about a moat on the plain that drops invaders down to the first (or second) cavern?  Or an orbital magma cannon to drop magma on top of invaders wading through the water, creating carbonite obsidian?  Or maybe both?

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Helix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 05:33:17 am »

Hmm... do you suppose using a separate valve cluster for a lower-pressure flow, combined with coverable trenches near the border would be best for flushing debris into the caverns? My concern is that if full pressure was applied the targets would be washed over the holes. I need to do some experimentation...

Helix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 06:26:46 am »

An update. A giant badger wandered on to the map just a little after the first summer's migrant wave. While I was otherwise occupied the newly named 'Nentukdural' and ran off with my expedition leader/miner/broker's foot.
So, yeah... business as usual then.