Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fort Improbable  (Read 413 times)

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fort Improbable
« on: April 22, 2011, 10:06:36 pm »

I decided to make a new embark. I chose a great spot with plenty of materials. I have a soldier, a woodcutter/carpenter, a miner/mason, a miner/architect, a healer, a farmer/ brewer, and an expedition leader with purely social type skills. I got rid of all my materials but two copper picks and a copper axe. I went to give myself more things, but I accidentally pressed (e) andembarked. I'm sure this has been done before, but I just got the game a week ago. It is now summer of the first year and my fort is thriving.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: Fort Improbable
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 10:14:27 pm »

I used to do that, accidentally.

Now I consider it a necessity for a fun game.  And I don't mean !!FUN!! but actually enjoyable. I get way more of a sense of accomplishment from starting with nothing.

Recently I've been considering setting the population cap to 0 as well, so that I only get the starting cadre of dwarves, plus 2 waves of migrants.  All the rest of my growth will have to be from keeping children *gasp* alive for *omg* 12 years!
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 10:38:10 pm »

Given that people have had thriving forts when they started with no items, no skills, and no animals, I'd imagine that starting skills and tools would make things relatively easy  :P

Really, what you embark with just determines what your priorities are the first year. Nothing is truly necessary. You've just started into the world of embark challenges, the ultimate of which is probably the fabled empty wagon no skills forbidden-creation-of-training-axes embark. Having to survive off the land with only 3 wood for materials and an inability to make barrels (due to needing 3 materials to make a depot) is somewhat difficult.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 12:47:04 am »

Also fun: sell any tools, etc (not raw materials), you brought with you to the dwarfs the first autumn. And only buy raw materials (wood, stone (no blocks or gems (they're never uncut), clay, plants (no seeds! those come in bags!), thread, prepared food (make into meals), animals (sell cages to the next caravan!), etc). That precludes sand, though (the bags).
Everything will be made yourself!

Extra challenge: bring one bag of dye, use it to dye cloth and make a bag. Sell original bag to next caravan. Only use dyed cloth.