Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lack of variety in new version ?  (Read 1025 times)

mrod45

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
lack of variety in new version ?
« on: April 24, 2011, 10:13:37 am »

in the older versions (.10 was my latest played before .25) There were a variety of minerals available on the embark site. now i notice there are more gems than metals n things, is this right? am i doing something wrong, ive used the lazy noob pack and genesis which are both awesome except for a extreme lack of metals. it seems every layer (Z level) is the same consisting of a a main base type and 1 or 2 pockets of the same thing with the same gems or whatever in the level. Im confuzzeled. it didnt used to be that way. is there a setting or something to get it like it used to be ?

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Re: lack of variety in new version ?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 10:19:19 am »

is there a setting or something to get it like it used to be ?

There is indeed.  You have to do the advanced world parameters, and there is a setting called (if I recall correctly) "Mineral Scarcity."  Lower numbers = more metals. 

By default metals are pretty scarce; sort of a more realistic setup.  You will have to wait for goblinite or caravans with stuff you can melt into bars, or regen with a better minerals setting.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

mrod45

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 10:22:05 am »

thanks for the info, ive played the game for years and only last year got a fully fuctioning fort going so ya im a noob still. thanks again

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 11:38:55 am »

Set "Mineral Frequency" to a low value in advanced world gen. The default level has been severely reduced. Setting it to the lowest possible value (100) should give you multiple shallow and deep metal ore types in pretty much every embark.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 11:43:36 am »

I shouldn't repeat things that I haven't tested, but its been said that higher numbers give you less variety of minerals, but more of whatever few kinds of minerals that are available.  For instance, high scarecity might give you an entire layer of hematite, but not much else.  low scarecity will give you little pockets of lots of things.

like I said, I havent tested this.

theSquirrelOfLoathing

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 12:54:19 pm »

There is indeed.  You have to do the advanced world parameters, and there is a setting called (if I recall correctly) "Mineral Scarcity."  Lower numbers = more metals. 

By default metals are pretty scarce; sort of a more realistic setup.  You will have to wait for goblinite or caravans with stuff you can melt into bars, or regen with a better minerals setting.

Wut? I thought it was the other way around. *facepalm*