Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Baiting/catching giant eagles?  (Read 413 times)

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
Baiting/catching giant eagles?
« on: April 22, 2011, 11:11:00 am »

They occasionally wander onto my map. Of course I want to catch them and create a giant eagle army. Now, how do I bait them?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: Baiting/catching giant eagles?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 11:21:04 am »

I don't think you can bait them. You just have to build cage traps and hope they wander into them.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 11:23:57 am »

... Time to build some more cages.

EDIT; AH COME ON.

Giant desert scorpions arrive before the traps are loaded. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 11:33:03 am by katana »
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 11:33:47 am »

If you place an animal on a rope or chain out in the open, then surround that animal with cagetraps this can work as an effective bait method. Pick something that wont fight back well, like a puppy or rabbit. Some people suggest placing walls at the compass points around the animal, to reduce chances of enemied engaging with ranged attacks (bow Goblins) whilst still leaving access. Good luck with the eagles.
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 12:55:20 pm »

WWWWWW
W________
W_WWWW
W_____AW
W_WWWW
W________
WWWWWW

From a top view, W is walls, _ is floor waiting for traps, and A is the bait animal. Just add cage traps, and a ceiling if you want the eagles. Not sure if eagles go for anything, but replace the animal with a 1x1 plump helmet stockpile (no barrels) to attract monkeys.

Also works for weapon traps and levered spike/spear traps. And if you wanted to be real creative, you could add another C wall.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 04:27:14 pm »

Roofs over cages. Nothing more need be said.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 04:47:01 pm »

Pay attention to where the animal(s) usualy path too.In my experience, you can usualy catch them more easily if you place traps in areas where they tend to path thru when left un-interupted.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.